Another day...another load of oak!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I'm quite sure my woodpile is 95 percent plus Red Oak. The interior wood is that unmistakable, consistent, dark reddish color, not just some of it browner or whatever like other Oaks. We also have a nice stand of White Oak on our property, and its bark is quite distinctive. No way I could mistake those two. I'm not saying my dry stuff is as tough as Hickory, only that it splits noticeably harder than fresh cut Red Oak.

Body aches, time is short, I got a doc appointment and then I am going to punish myself...again!!! My wife thinks I am crazy. The guy I am getting the wood from is happy as heck and still can not believe I hauled out as much as I have. He even asked...are you sure you can cut up the trunk...yep, splitters and saws make life easier!!! Off for another face cord tonight!!!

burntime said:
Body aches, time is short, I got a doc appointment and then I am going to punish myself...again!!! My wife thinks I am crazy. The guy I am getting the wood from is happy as heck and still can not believe I hauled out as much as I have. He even asked...are you sure you can cut up the trunk...yep, splitters and saws make life easier!!! Off for another face cord tonight!!!

How many cord so far?

This will be load 7. so 2 cord and 1 face so far. I think there will still be 1 1/2 to 2 minimum after the load tonight. All of it is stacked and waiting to be split. I have 1 1/2 cord softwood to split for this year yet that has been drying for years, then at least 3 cords of other wood before I get to the oak, not to mention the 4.5 cord split for this year already! I figure I should load up and take it when I can get it with fuel prices going up. Plus the oak will NEED to be split in the next 3 months if I want to be able to use it next winter!!!

Sounds like your set right up. Good deal.

I've got all my wood for this coming burning season, but will always keep my eye out for additional sources. Almost can't help it now. Planning for a truck load next spring as well so I can get a year ahead.

I will split the oak in a month or two, it will be for the end of next season. I think I have next years supply waiting to be split. I was told that work will last approx 3 months then perm layoff after 12.5 years so I will have some time to catch up. I will probably cut and split it all and try to get rid of the chaos in my yard. It sure looks purty when it is stacked, not so much as a mound!! :lol:

Hey thanks, been a heck of a year, knee surgery, wife diagnosed with ms and this. Good thing is I have two wonderfull boys 3 and 17 months, wife will be able to continue working, and I get a 4-5 month severence package. If I am off I would rather it be during the winter anyway! Plus I can feed the stove ;~) I am in my late 30s with a degree, and 12 plus years in finance and collections, should be able to land on my feet without a lot of problem! Plus I would love to spend some time with my little guys...heck, daycare is 250 a week plus the gas to get them there! Glad I am a saver!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.