Another DuraVent DuraPlus Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnstra

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2010
Northern Colorado
I know this has been hashed on quite a bit in the past, but I'd like to get input from those who have DuraPlus pipe installed. To be clear, I'm talking about the DuraVent DuraPlus triple-walled product with a ceramic blanket and an air chamber. A lot of past comments about air-cooled pipe seems to apply to products that are air-cooled only and not to those that have both the insulating blanket and an air chamber.

My new BK Ultra was delivered yesterday. The delivery man actually owns the store I bought the stove from and he thinks I'll be disappointed with the triple-walled pipe.

I'd like to get some thoughts on whether a packed double-walled flue will perform better (maintain a better draft) than the combination packed and air-cooled triple-walled flue. I know I'll have to cut bigger holes for the triple-walled pipe, but that doesn't bother me. I have a straight shot and the triple-walled pipe will fit through my attic/roof with the necessary 2" clearance to joists/rafters.

Thanks,
-john

Either one will do just fine. I doubt you would see any better performance from one to the other.
Your going to need 8" for the BK, so the DuraPlus will be much larger outside diameter and hole than the double walled stuff.

Reactions: ScotO
I have Simpson Triple wall outside and never had a problem. My 6" pipe has a 10" O.D. It has about a 3/4" insulation and the rest is air. But if its sealed pretty well, that air pocket will warm and help the insulation.

Never had a problem with my draft and I have 2 90's in my system. I have double wall Simpson in the basement, then into Thimble/Clean-out, then 18 ft of Triple wall.

image.jpg image.jpg

Both our fireplace and our stove are piped with duravent Class A insulated stainless pipe. And it is amazing stuff. I like it because the outer diameter is only 2" larger than the inner diameter, which does allow for a little more clearance.

Never had a problem with this pipe, it is amazing stuff. Like Hogz said, either one will do the job and do it well, but you may gain a little more space with the double wall insulated instead of the triple wall....

Thanks everyone. I had 6" double-wall in the house I'm moving out of and it did perform extremely well. The 8" triple-wall is big (12" o.d.), but I'm going to give it a try. I'll have 4' of DVL and then 12' of triple-wall from the ceiling up through the roof. It's a straight shot. I wouldn't mind having a bit more height, but my house is a ranch with a low-pitch roof, so I'll start with 16' and if need be I'll add 3'. I'm hoping since it's a straight shot it'll draw well.

Reactions: DexterDay
The one advantage the triple wall has over the double, is price. The triple is less expensive than the double wall.
I bought the DuraPlus through roof installation kit on sale, and now I am contemplating which way I want to go with my 30 install.
I myself would prefer the double wall, and will be weight the cost between the two.

I know this has been hashed on quite a bit in the past, but I'd like to get input from those who have DuraPlus pipe installed. To be clear, I'm talking about the DuraVent DuraPlus triple-walled product with a ceramic blanket and an air chamber. A lot of past comments about air-cooled pipe seems to apply to products that are air-cooled only and not to those that have both the insulating blanket and an air chamber.

My new BK Ultra was delivered yesterday. The delivery man actually owns the store I bought the stove from and he thinks I'll be disappointed with the triple-walled pipe.

I'd like to get some thoughts on whether a packed double-walled flue will perform better (maintain a better draft) than the combination packed and air-cooled triple-walled flue. I know I'll have to cut bigger holes for the triple-walled pipe, but that doesn't bother me. I have a straight shot and the triple-walled pipe will fit through my attic/roof with the necessary 2" clearance to joists/rafters.

Thanks,
-john

Hey John,

When I was deciding on which brand to use for my chimney and stove pipe and finally chose Duravent, I spoke to a tech at Duravent about the double wall and triple wall difference. And he told me the Duraplus (triple wall ) is meant for Do it your selfers and has the extra wall of air space to help the DIYer to have that extra layer of space for a cooler chimney wall that is safer for the non pro installer.
He said the DuraTech ( double wall ) is the pipe with a thicker ceramic blanket and used by professional installers.......... Of course I chose the latter ( DuraTech )................Hope that helps.

DuraTech is what we have in our installations too. It's a good product.

I have Simpson Triple wall outside and never had a problem. My 6" pipe has a 10" O.D. It has about a 3/4" insulation and the rest is air. But if its sealed pretty well, that air pocket will warm and help the insulation.

Never had a problem with my draft and I have 2 90's in my system. I have double wall Simpson in the basement, then into Thimble/Clean-out, then 18 ft of Triple wall.

View attachment 107720 View attachment 107721

know this is an old thread but DexterDay where did you get those chimney wall band straps?

I think he had custom extensions made up and painted them silver. Search on his old threads. He posted the details a while back.

Nor am I, apparently he has left the forum. He had end plates cut up, drilled them for bolting of the flanges, them had them welded up to square stock to make the extensions. then he sprayed them silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.