1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Another electric question

Post in 'The Gear' started by splitterless, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. splitterless

splitterless New Member

Loc:
    on the banks of the south fork
    I know another electric question, boys & girls a 22 ton gas will not fit in the budget and the fall season approaching pre-owns are going for retail around here. So what do you think of the DR 6 ton verses the mantis 5 ton splitter mounted on a dolly? Both are the same specs except for tons, DR has 6 mo return and Mantis has 1 yr. The last time I check the DR is around $700 and the mantis is around $500. OR should I opt for the DR 8 ton gas, since I would use it in the fall most of the time, for the cost of a DR 6 ton electric. I would split 4 cords a year, I am completely :-S

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JayD

JayD Member

Loc:
    35 miles north of detroit
    Hello if your looking at spending $700 you may want to look at these http://www.ramsplitter.com/ModelH16.html A bit more more but these are good splitters Do a search here lots of info and your getting a Hydraulic ;-P and you can u can upgrade to gas if you want. These prices also includes shipping. Jay
  3. unit40

unit40 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Massachusetts
    I was in the same predicament. I didn't really need a big gas powered machine...I can borrow a 30 something ton from a co-worker. I needed something I could use indoors if need be because i do a lot of splitting in the basement. Splitting large pieces smaller to fit in my Jotul 3CB's. I also like to make smaller splits for kindling or to revive a fire. I was torn between the Brave EZ Split, slow, 8 tons and Gas and only 18", or the DR. I purchased the DR 6 ton last Thursday. I'm banging my head against the wall because it was $599 last week or so, then went up to $612 or something. Went to the DR store , and the Guy gave me $50 off because the ram had some chipped paint. It was never used. It is home now. I love the thing. I like how it has two speeds, the one handed operation. It'll take a 20" log. It has split everything. OK, well it choked on a huge knarly piece, but I repositioned it and it ate it up. It is a lot quiter then I thought it would be. I did a lot of research on electric splitters, seems their all made the same in "Asia". Pow'R'Kraft makes a 10 ton electric. They make the Ryobi 4 ton splitters. But you need two hands to operate. I say get the DR
  4. splitterless

splitterless New Member

Loc:
    on the banks of the south fork
    I look at the ramsplitter @ $929 and a 7 day return policy, cannot get it unpack in that amount of time. Unit40, When I call DR they said they do not pay for return shipping, did they tell you that? A DR 6 ton + s/h is pushing $700. Anybody got anything on the Mantis or is just 6 in one and a half dozen in another. :)
  5. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    FWIW the Ryobi does not need 2 hands to operate. I have an average size hand and can depress the momentary-on electric button with my thumb and pull down the hydraulic actuator with the fingers.
  6. unit40

unit40 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Massachusetts
    The DR factory store is close enough to me that I can return the machine. Regarding the Ryobi, it is designed to operate with two hands for safety, the DR has an on/off switch so you can operate the lever, while the other hand can stabalize the log or whatever like a 'real' splitter. The Mantis, I believe, is set up the same, meaning you need two hands to operate the safeties. I alsost considered the Pow'R'Kraft splitter because of the two speed feature and the tonnage, as well as the price. But I really liked the DR warranty, the return policy, the features. and the fact that it is sold by a US DR company, which means dealer support.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.