Another electric question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitterless

I know another electric question, boys & girls a 22 ton gas will not fit in the budget and the fall season approaching pre-owns are going for retail around here. So what do you think of the DR 6 ton verses the mantis 5 ton splitter mounted on a dolly? Both are the same specs except for tons, DR has 6 mo return and Mantis has 1 yr. The last time I check the DR is around $700 and the mantis is around $500. OR should I opt for the DR 8 ton gas, since I would use it in the fall most of the time, for the cost of a DR 6 ton electric. I would split 4 cords a year, I am completely :-S

I was in the same predicament. I didn't really need a big gas powered machine...I can borrow a 30 something ton from a co-worker. I needed something I could use indoors if need be because i do a lot of splitting in the basement. Splitting large pieces smaller to fit in my Jotul 3CB's. I also like to make smaller splits for kindling or to revive a fire. I was torn between the Brave EZ Split, slow, 8 tons and Gas and only 18", or the DR. I purchased the DR 6 ton last Thursday. I'm banging my head against the wall because it was $599 last week or so, then went up to $612 or something. Went to the DR store , and the Guy gave me $50 off because the ram had some chipped paint. It was never used. It is home now. I love the thing. I like how it has two speeds, the one handed operation. It'll take a 20" log. It has split everything. OK, well it choked on a huge knarly piece, but I repositioned it and it ate it up. It is a lot quiter then I thought it would be. I did a lot of research on electric splitters, seems their all made the same in "Asia". Pow'R'Kraft makes a 10 ton electric. They make the Ryobi 4 ton splitters. But you need two hands to operate. I say get the DR

I look at the ramsplitter @ $929 and a 7 day return policy, cannot get it unpack in that amount of time. Unit40, When I call DR they said they do not pay for return shipping, did they tell you that? A DR 6 ton + s/h is pushing $700. Anybody got anything on the Mantis or is just 6 in one and a half dozen in another. :)

FWIW the Ryobi does not need 2 hands to operate. I have an average size hand and can depress the momentary-on electric button with my thumb and pull down the hydraulic actuator with the fingers.

The DR factory store is close enough to me that I can return the machine. Regarding the Ryobi, it is designed to operate with two hands for safety, the DR has an on/off switch so you can operate the lever, while the other hand can stabalize the log or whatever like a 'real' splitter. The Mantis, I believe, is set up the same, meaning you need two hands to operate the safeties. I alsost considered the Pow'R'Kraft splitter because of the two speed feature and the tonnage, as well as the price. But I really liked the DR warranty, the return policy, the features. and the fact that it is sold by a US DR company, which means dealer support.

Status
Not open for further replies.