1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another Farmhouse Table update...

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Stax, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Stax

Stax Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    After wood filling my screw holes and finished up sanding, it was time to select a stain, adhere a pre-stain and then stain.

We sampled Special Walnut, Provincial (middle) and Jacobean. We ended up choosing Provincial because how it allowed the grain to come through.

Note: If you can avoid screwing down through your table top, do so. Wood filler doesn't stain so well and is very visible to the scanning eye.

We may adhere another coat before a final coat of polyurethane.
    Farmhouse Stains.jpg Farmhouse Provincial.jpg Farmhouse Pre-Stain.jpg Farmhouse Pre-Stain Coat .jpg Farmhouse 1 Coat.jpg
    zap and GAMMA RAY like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Have you thought about selling them?

You built it because of the price of a Farmhouse table at a retailer costs? Right?

Im sure you built it for way less.... Add your time... Is that cheaper than what they cost normally? If so? Then sell them for less than the stores.

Lots of free advertising out there now. Just a thought.

Anyways. Very Nice. Love it.
  3. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    There are designs, methods and special furniture builder's hardware for pretty much every conceivable configuration which will preclude the need for any sort of wood filler in the finished surface. Dang good lookin' table, in any case. Nice job! Rick
  4. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Looks great...I also hate stain on wood filler, never looks perfect.
  5. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Try a second coat of stain on just the filler. Dab it on, let it set, then wipe. I just bought a Kreg Jig this past weekend while making cabinets for a small room in my addition. I love this thing! Wow, is all I can say. NO exposed connectors, etc.
    Was looking at dovetail jigs, routers, datos, and biscuit joiners, and the Kreg jig replaces almost all of them. Worth every penny!
  6. Stax

Stax Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    Hog...good suggestion. I'll try that.
  7. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA

I bought the Kreg too a few months ago. Tight joints, minimal glue and no clamping needed. Even on edge to edge work. Biscuit joiner sits on the shelf now.
  8. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
  9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Nice table Stax, looks good and strong.

zap
  10. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    He could also fill them with plugs made from dowels made of the same wood species, then stain and clear. Prolly the closest it will get to matching.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  11. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    Yeah, should have used plugs but still looks good. I am a casual carpenter but learned that on one of my early projects, despite what the can says on it.

What I did with my most recent tables is mount cheap shiplap siding to 3/4 plywood and then cut to size and wrap with 1x3 pine. Screwed through the plywood into the shiplap - so 1 1/4 screws. Shiplap was the cheapest stuff i could find that was rustic/rougher sawed. Was going to get real rough sawn from the mill but even that was a bit wet and about the same price as the ship lap. Ill get some pictures up if i can..
    Eatonpcat likes this.