Another Farmhouse Table update...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
After wood filling my screw holes and finished up sanding, it was time to select a stain, adhere a pre-stain and then stain.

We sampled Special Walnut, Provincial (middle) and Jacobean. We ended up choosing Provincial because how it allowed the grain to come through.

Note: If you can avoid screwing down through your table top, do so. Wood filler doesn't stain so well and is very visible to the scanning eye.

We may adhere another coat before a final coat of polyurethane.
Farmhouse Stains.jpgFarmhouse Provincial.jpgFarmhouse Pre-Stain.jpgFarmhouse Pre-Stain Coat .jpgFarmhouse 1 Coat.jpg

Reactions: zap and GAMMA RAY
Have you thought about selling them?

You built it because of the price of a Farmhouse table at a retailer costs? Right?

Im sure you built it for way less.... Add your time... Is that cheaper than what they cost normally? If so? Then sell them for less than the stores.

Lots of free advertising out there now. Just a thought.

Anyways. Very Nice. Love it.

There are designs, methods and special furniture builder's hardware for pretty much every conceivable configuration which will preclude the need for any sort of wood filler in the finished surface. Dang good lookin' table, in any case. Nice job! Rick

Try a second coat of stain on just the filler. Dab it on, let it set, then wipe. I just bought a Kreg Jig this past weekend while making cabinets for a small room in my addition. I love this thing! Wow, is all I can say. NO exposed connectors, etc.
Was looking at dovetail jigs, routers, datos, and biscuit joiners, and the Kreg jig replaces almost all of them. Worth every penny!

Try a second coat of stain on just the filler. Dab it on, let it set, then wipe. I just bought a Kreg Jig this past weekend while making cabinets for a small room in my addition. I love this thing! Wow, is all I can say. NO exposed connectors, etc.
Was looking at dovetail jigs, routers, datos, and biscuit joiners, and the Kreg jig replaces almost all of them. Worth every penny!

I bought the Kreg too a few months ago. Tight joints, minimal glue and no clamping needed. Even on edge to edge work. Biscuit joiner sits on the shelf now.

Nice table Stax, looks good and strong.

zap

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Yeah, should have used plugs but still looks good. I am a casual carpenter but learned that on one of my early projects, despite what the can says on it.

What I did with my most recent tables is mount cheap shiplap siding to 3/4 plywood and then cut to size and wrap with 1x3 pine. Screwed through the plywood into the shiplap - so 1 1/4 screws. Shiplap was the cheapest stuff i could find that was rustic/rougher sawed. Was going to get real rough sawn from the mill but even that was a bit wet and about the same price as the ship lap. Ill get some pictures up if i can..

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.