Another fire tonight? Enough is enough

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
picture200.jpg
Had to start another fire tonight. I shouldn't complain because I know the upper 90s to triple digit heat that is out west is going to make its way here and I will be wanting some of this cool weather but I can't ever remember me having a fire this far into May. Oh well its nice to see the stove with something in it again==c

Reactions: ScotO
I had a small one last night, more to get rid of the damp feeling than to get heat. Tonight it is mid 40's right now, likely getting down to 30, and tomorrow night sounds like mid 20's. I had missed having a fire, so it is kind of nice to have a few nights of this, but the apple blossoms aren't going to fare very well.

the apple blossoms aren't going to fare very well.​
That's the only bad thing about it. I've heard people around this area say strawberries are starting to bloom, guess the frost will get them too!!

Yeah, we had a fire this morning, and I'm getting ready to load for bed. Here it's calling for a freeze warning, so a couple armloads of wood brought in and a little time in the garden. We covered our strawberries, and potatoes. I might be able to let the potatoes go, but they are well over a foot tall. Everything else we have planted, frost or freeze won't hurt. Hopefully this is the last of the wood furnace for the season and the last freeze.

Nice looking stove...

Yeah I just put the pellet basket in the 30 and fired it off. We have been drowning in rain for days of downpours and now we get one sunny day and the temp is headed down for a couple of days and nights. :confused:

Yeah I just put the pellet basket in the 30 and fired it off. We have been drowning in rain for days of downpours and now we get one sunny day and the temp is headed down for a couple of days and nights. :confused:
Yeah I had almost 3 inches of rain over the last three days:mad: Do those pellet baskets really work?

Yeah I had almost 3 inches of rain over the last three days:mad: Do those pellet baskets really work?

Not great but they make a pretty fire that doesn't heat us out of the joint. And I have a few tons of pellets in the basement for the pellet stove on the odd occasion when I need to do something down there.

Al Gore has got to be be loosing sleep. I think it got 35 here in Ky last night. Stoves a burnin.

Had my Osburn going last night also.....34* this morning. Crazy weather going on....:rolleyes:

One more fire tonight, using some dry pine.

Besides heat I'm hoping to get out some moisture that's built up in the family room.

( just a few miles form Velvetfoot)

View attachment 102013
Had to start another fire tonight. I shouldn't complain because I know the upper 90s to triple digit heat that is out west is going to make its way here and I will be wanting some of this cool weather but I can't ever remember me having a fire this far into May. Oh well its nice to see the stove with something in it again==c
It actually felt good having coffee by the fire, living in the north country we expect this chit. Grandma Zap always wanted the garden planted May 31st for a reason.

Woke to about 31 this a.m., and still had coals in the stove after 8-ish hours (good for my stove). Didn't bother putting on more wood, but now it's cooling a bit in the house, so I might have another fire.
Forecast for 32 again tonight, so there will be fire.
zap, coffee every morning about 15' from the stove while trying to erase the cobwebs.:cool:
Looks like we'll get another couple overnight lows at the freezing mark, so maybe more fire, but we're just about done. Pretty much on schedule for here.

Reactions: ScotO and zap
Crazy chit.......
Today I tie my record for "late season burning". Several years back I had a fire on May 13th.
If I have one tonight (which is a definate YES), this will be a new record. And looking at the long term forecast (which they usually get WRONG), they are calling for a warm-up later this week, but a dip back into the 30's and 40's next week!! I sure hope they are wrong about that!!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Woke to about 31 this a.m., and still had coals in the stove after 8-ish hours (good for my stove). Didn't bother putting on more wood, but now it's cooling a bit in the house, so I might have another fire.
Forecast for 32 again tonight, so there will be fire.
zap, coffee every morning about 15' from the stove while trying to erase the cobwebs.:cool:
Looks like we'll get another couple overnight lows at the freezing mark, so maybe more fire, but we're just about done. Pretty much on schedule for here.
The boss was sleeping pretty good this morning so I never woke her for coffee by the fire, boy did I screw up! :oops:

Reactions: ScotO
I had a small one last night, more to get rid of the damp feeling than to get heat. Tonight it is mid 40's right now, likely getting down to 30, and tomorrow night sounds like mid 20's. I had missed having a fire, so it is kind of nice to have a few nights of this, but the apple blossoms aren't going to fare very well.

We had some blossoms get hit but looks like we did pretty well and will still get a good crop. One tree that is sort of by itself got hit the worst but we have so many trees all over that it helps keep the temperature up a bit. Still it was 30 the first time I looked this morning. Not sure what the low was though.

I know how you feel. You have my utmost sympathy. Last year we were still burning in Juneuary.

Tonight it will drop into the 30's so we have a small fire going. Few splits, no overnight burn.

KaptJaq

Over night burn going on in Icey Hollow tonight..... both stoves will be working.

Bringing inside the 2 flats of flowers I bought yesterday ... my perennial seedlings are top covered with plastic, and on their own.

Seriously???

Did a light load small splits around 730, and now put in a n overnight load. First overnighter in at least a month.

Over night burn going on in Icey Hollow tonight..... both stoves will be working.

Bringing inside the 2 flats of flowers I bought yesterday ... my perennial seedlings are top covered with plastic, and on their own.

Seriously???
We had to bring in a bunch last night. They were getting a bit droopy, but perked back up after a while in the house.
No blooms on the apple trees yet, so I hope those will be ok.

I got one going right now. I wasn't expecting to need to do that. Frost warnings tonight. Crazy.

I just put a couple small oak splits on the fire to hold us through the night. It is supposed to drop down into the upper 30s tonight, but by Wednesday they are calling for it to hit 81! So, I told my wife as we got ready for bed that this might be our last fire of the season. She said, "You said that about two weeks ago!" Back in April we were soaking in our outdoor hot tub when we had a week of summer like temperatures. We've had a very unusual spring this year in Western NC. So far we've had over 35" of rain since January and about 50" is normal for the entire year! Since our only water supply is a spring we are happy to get all the rain, even if it did keep me from getting the garden started a little late this year. I guess with the cold temperatures we've been getting it's a good thing the rain did keep me out of the garden! I planted 26 tomato plants Friday and Saturday, but it didn't get cold enough last night to damage them. Hopefully, they'll make it through tonight and then maybe spring will really arrive! I have to admit, with getting our new Jotul F 600 wood stove near the end of February I'm glad we've had so much cold weather. I've really been enjoying getting to know the new stove. I'm already looking forward to next winter when we get some really cold weather so I can put it through its paces!

Status
Not open for further replies.