Another Fiskars X25 review.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry in OK

Oct 31, 2011
NE Oklahoma
After reading about the fiskars splitting axes/magic wood splitting wands ;-) I went ahead and picked up a X25 at Wally World Thursday.
I've used it enough to have formed an opinion.
Most of the wood I've split all my life has been done with either a double bit axe or a traditional 8# maul backed up by wedges and sledge for the tough stuff. I've been splitting wood since I was big enough to handle the tools.
It is a well made tool and does a decent job of splitting the wood I've gone after with it so far, mostly Red Oak, Wild Cherry and American Elm.
I've got some big 30" red oak rounds that pretty well ignore it just as they do the 8# maul. It sticks in the American Elm about the same as my maul does. Plenty of one strike splits on 10"-14" Red Oak but I would have expected about the same with the maul or double bit axe from that wood. It is a little easier to swing repeatedly than the 8# maul.
I wish I had bought the X27 with the longer handle.
It's a good axe but it ain't no magic wood splitting wand :cheese:
I consider it a valuable addition to my wood splitting arsenal but it won't replace my 8# maul.
If I had it to do over again I would have held out for the longer handle other than that I don't regret the purchase

Good review. I've been thinking of getting one. I won't rule out the hydrolic spliter since this thing isn't magic.

I wish I got the 27 as well, but I saw the 25 at wally world and it ended up being $22.
I picked up a X7 at a local hardware store for $29.

It splits straight grain softwoods in a single wack, 90% of the time.
I use the splitter any time I have more than a few to split. I ALWAYS take the axe on a scrounge though. That's mainly what I got it for.

I picked up a Fiskars X25 at WallyWorld today also. I scrounged some ash a couple weeks ago, and used the Fiskars to split all the smaller stuff today. Probably about 2/5th/cord in about 1.5 hours. Not bad considering I was learning this tool. Anything under about 12-14 inches split in 1 hit. The bigger cuts (18-24") didn't want to split. The Fiskars just sunk into the wood. And I was hitting the near edge and trying to let leverage help me also!!!! I'm gonna try those big ones again if we ever get another real cold stretch (under 10 degrees), as it was about 30 degrees while I split what I did.

I would recommend this tool highly.............with this caveat. This is a nasty ass tool. It'll take your foot off if you're careless. I was splitting on a stump about 18" high. I believe 22-24" high would've been better for me; as I'm almost 6 feet tall. I was splitting wood cut to about 16" in length also.

Thumbs up from this cowboy for this product!!! The Fiskars X25 anyway!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.