another flue cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
If you have a straight flue with no elbows can you brush the creasote straight into the stove if it is not a cat stove, lets say such as an Englander 13nc for instance. Will it burn off in that upper space in the stove?

Possibly if there is a small enough amount, however, you're more likely to block off your flue and have the smoke of your first fire back in your living space.

if you can't see it, you don't know whether it's clean or not. Shane's right. I'e seen plenty smoke back just from the creosote that flakes off during idle times. We usaully see a rash of flue fires in the early fall just from that. If you can't see it take it apart.

J.T.Black Goose

Remove the ceramic baffle and brush it into the firebox. You need to dust off the top of the baffle at the end of the season anyway.

Well now that I have a new epa certified insert , I am going back to the sweep once a year. burns so hot and so clean I cant see any reason for a twice a year cleaning. and don`t know about you but I hate heights, and also I want it done right..!

How do you remove the ceramic baffle?

I believe that's covered in the manual in the maintenance section.

Dont have one. One reason i got it about $210 off regular. Wheres that englander dude when u need him.

Status
Not open for further replies.