Another Flue Heat 'Reclaimer' Question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter B.

Feeling the Heat
Feb 27, 2008
SW Wisconsin
I've read a number of threads on this subject already and have made a 'casual study' of the Magic Heat reclaimer (and one of its competitors).

I'm aware that essentially ANY cooling of the flue is apt to promote additional creosote build up. Also that the reclaimer designs available don't allow for ready clean out of accumulated creosote.

But... I'm inclined to think there must be some way to extract usable heat from a flue pipe that is running routinely at (say) 500-600* not far above the stovetop, without a 'deal breaker' trade off.

I'm toying with some ideas I might try that wouldn't impede exhaust flow or constrict flue pipe diameter, but that *might* radiate more usable heat than an 'unadorned' flue pipe... so far pretty straightforward stuff in terms of design... if not execution.

An example being a _genuine_ heat sink of cast aluminum with multiple vertical fins radiating a few inches away from the black pipe. Likely expensive... but possibly (at least plausibly) effective.

Anyone care to weigh in with ideas?

Thanks.

Peter B.

-----

That would certainly work. How about running a fan over the singlewall you have? You could see how much more heat you could get out of it and see if it builds a measurable amount of creosote in your setup?

I have around 4 feet of singlewall and that is where I get 90% of my creosote.

Matt

Why not reclaim it from the stove. Even a small fan aimed at the stove will give you better results than a flue reclaimer. It's all about surface area and wind speed. Taking the heated air off the much larger stove surface is more efficient without affecting flue temps.

TS

Something similar to this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Heat-Fins-Energy-Saving-for-Wood-Stove-pipes_W0QQitemZ140287693844QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item140287693844&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:4|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:4|294:200

Todd said:
Something similar to this?

Yeah, similar, but not quite what I had in mind... though the principle is there.

I don't think I'd bother with anything so 'lightweight', except as a low cost trial.

I'd like to think a non-descript two foot section of radially finned aluminum 'stovepipe' might make a real difference.

As to the fan suggestions, call me banal (without the 'b'), but I hate extraneous noise... and am occasionally surprised I haven't put a bullet in my refrigerator... yet.

Thanks for the replies...

Peter B.

-----

Aluminum stove pipe sounds a bit dangerous.

Maybe you could pick up a roll of Al roof flashing and cut and bend small pieces into a right angle. A large hose clamp could attach them to a section of steel pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.