Another Flue Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_ms

Feeling the Heat
Jan 28, 2008
Upstate NY on VT Border
I just found this site a couple of days ago...lot of good info!!

I am just beginning to explore the purchase of a fireplace wood insert as a primary source of heat.

One thing that concerns me cost wise, is the fact I have been informed that you may not have two heat sources (wood and boiler) going up the chimney. From what I have read here it is against most codes.

I have not been up on my roof to look at my chimney (it's a wife thing) 8-/ but I have looked at my flue from the bottom up and it seems to me that the fireplace flue is considerably more narrow than I had thought it would be, based on overall size looking at it from outside. Speaking of looking at chimney from the outside it looks like there in separate flue for the oil boiler which would (I think) account for the fact of the "narrowness" of the chimney flue.

So I guess my question is...if in fact the boiler has it's own "separate" enclosed flue would I be able to vent the Wood Insert up the existing chimney or would I still have to re-vent the boiler??

Look forward to your replies,

Mark_ms

Hi Mark and welcome to the Boiler Room.

My understanding is that if there are separate flues in the same chimney, they can be used for different appliances. If there is only one, however, then you have to choose. Sounds to me like you've got a double, which would mean you could hook both a woodstove and a separate boiler up to each one, although the fireplace flue will have to be modified (replace the damper with a block-off plate) before you can use it for a stove or an insert.

What kind of boiler do you have--gas or oil?

Ooops...Oil fired boiler, Does it make a difference between Oil and Gas??

Mark_ms

PS You and I are close about 45 minutes apart....

No, it doesn't matter. I'm just being nosy.

We can't be that close--Albany is an hour and a half away from me (just south of Utica).

Status
Not open for further replies.