Another foolish CraigList Ad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

granpajohn

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2007
Central Maryland
I don't know what's worse...That I read 'em, or that I post 'em here.
(If it's too miserable; somebody scold me)

This guy seems to have advertised an oak, then finally admitted it was poplar. It is one (admittedly large) tree. You split it and leave him 2 cords. You can have the rest. You have to remove a section of the fence to get to it. The tenant has 2 dogs. (They might not bite) If his high end estimate is correct, it is a 12 cord tree...OK here it is:
=============================================

Firewood - POPLAR to be split - it yours free. (Silver Spring)

Date: 2011-08-10, 9:48AM EDT

I've been told the huge 90 foot tree that was cut down in my back yard into fire place length logs is not OAK but POPLAR. As I have researched this - POPLAR is used often to start fires and then longer burning hard wood put on top. These are huge - three feet across chunks and cannot be lifted by one person. You need a log splitter to do the job. They have been on the ground for about 2 months now. My tenant has 2 dogs that she keeps in the house . All I ask is that you leave some wood for me and my family after it is split - I cannot split it myself. One or two cords is all I would need ....you can get probaly 8 to 10 cords of wood out of this tree. the yard is fenced and you would need to come in through the alley way to bring in your machine ---s o you would need to take some of the fencing off to brin in your machine to split the wood. Please let me know as soon as possible. Call me at 301-412-6435

As an aside, does it have to be modernism or theocracy?

Does "modernism" mean "we can learn"? Sign me up.

Yup, the CL poster obviously has no idea of what's involved in what he's suggesting. Did you jump at the chance of 8 cords of wet kindling?

Thanks to your evil influence, I changed my signature quote.
I grow weary of the same quotes over and over and it is long past time.

A 20" tree at chest height makes APPROX .75 cord of wood.
Now if you double the diameter you quadrupled the volume (of a cylinder).
40" diameter = 3 cord of wood
80" diamter = 12 cord of wood

Quite a monster...

he obviously don't Know what a cord is so you could leave him 1/10th of the wood since it is a ten cord tree. Oh wait someone said cord should have a s on it for plural so it's a ten cords tree. ;-)

man thats some serious trees!

greythorn, is that you, or joe dirt?

Too bad I'm not home in SS now or I'd jump all over that... :roll:
We do have huge tulip poplars, but I don't know about 12 cords. Maybe he's from MI and means a face cord. Either way, there is way too much oak there to spend a lot of time on poplar.

Someone can check my numbers....
A cord (128 cf) before splitting and stacking is about 85 cf, roughly. 12x85=1020 cf in this one tree.
If 90 ft tall, (as advertised), 1020/90 = 11.3 cf per linear foot. According to the pipe chart taped to my monitor; that's around 46" diameter; for the whole 90 ft. So, I could agree with the 80" caliper size perhaps.

Calculation neglected branches.

I guess if one was using face cords...maybe true.

Status
Not open for further replies.