Another frigging storm...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
So yesterday I woke up at 7 am, 72 degrees in the house and it felt really warm. Got up, checked the temp and it was 46* outside and raining no wonder it was toasty!

About 1 in the afternoon the temp dropped FAST, went from 46 to 34 to 28 in about an hour! Then the wind picked up and we had blowing sleet,snow and freezing rain.

Fast forward to this AM and the water that was on the ground turned to ice, we got abbot 15" or more of snow and 4 foot drifts blocking each end of our driveway. Our plow guy came about 1 AM and had a very hard time with the heavy wet snow and ice underneath.

So me being the smart, tough Yankee that I am figured I would have no prob getting out of my driveway, LOL. Made it about 20 ft and got stuck in a drift. Had to have the wife come out and drive while I shoveled out the tires. So here I am an hr later, sitting in my living room with the stove going and NO plans of going anywhere anytime soon, gotta love New England!!

Welcome to A Minnesota life.. 3 more storms this week..
Yes we only got 3 inches on top of our 2 ft that has been on the ground since ..like forever.
Think of the positives.
1. No bugs yet.
2. No lawn mowing yet.
3. Save money on golf green fees.
4. You get to eat and drink more..boredom has it's own rewards.
5. Another week added to the fat season..see #4.
6. You save on gas money by staying home.
7. You earn less..pay less in taxes.
8. A warm fire can lead to "that special moment " ..or NOT.
9. Pellets were created for a reason.
10. Florida weather sucks..too much rain...and you cant afford the gas anyway.

I hear ya, load and clear! 32F here, pouring rain and everything coated with ice. Not safe to go out to get the newspaper. Once the rain stops, I can put sand down ahead of me. On the bright side of things, the stove is keeping the house dry and comfortable. Just hope we don't loose our power. I've yet to get a generator. Don't know if it would do much good anyway as I wouldn't be able to go outside and start it up. Think I'll just busy myself getting my shelves and lights ready to start some seedlings. It is nice to smell the fresh soil and then to tend to the seedlings that will provide some very tasty vegetables. Yes, you gotta love New England. Nothing like our four seasons anywhere!

Taperbill said:
Welcome to A Minnesota life.. 3 more storms this week..
Yes we only got 3 inches on top of our 2 ft that has been on the ground since ..like forever.
Think of the positives.
1. No bugs yet.
2. No lawn mowing yet.
3. Save money on golf green fees.
4. You get to eat and drink more..boredom has it's own rewards.
5. Another week added to the fat season..see #4.
6. You save on gas money by staying home.
7. You earn less..pay less in taxes.
8. A warm fire can lead to "that special moment " ..or NOT.
9. Pellets were created for a reason.
10. Florida weather sucks..too much rain...and you cant afford the gas anyway.

LOL, I like the way you think! Here's my reply:

1. Agree that's a plus
2. At this point I wouldn't mind trading the shvel for the mower!
3. Agree
4 & 5. Agree!
6. Agree, gas already at $3.50+ here in VT
7. I will use vacation time, so it's a wash
8. Wife has been sick & 4 yr old daughter is home with us, so I'm thinking NOT!
9. I love my pellet stove!
10. Never been much of a Florida person, to damn muggy there!!

We got lucky as its just above freezing in NW CT. But I did see some sleet on the way to work. All the rain we got this weekend sure did melt some snow and flood some basements. Lots of people out due to flooding and several roads closed. Saw a p/u truck with a rowboat on the ladder racks. Must be the spare ride just in case?

Is it spring yet?

All the rain sat night and sun morning did get rid of slot of snow, I think at this point it's just a huge mess outside. I haven't seen a town plow in about 3 hrs and the only vehicles I've seen on the road are the heavy 1 ton trucks or larger. I know my Buick and Pontiac won't be going far today.

Nice day Sunday here in CNY. Woke up to drifts so high against the front door I had trouble gettin out. I LOVE IT. Cant wait to get home tonight to snowblow.

Franks said:
Nice day Sunday here in CNY. Woke up to drifts so high against the front door I had trouble gettin out. I LOVE IT. Cant wait to get home tonight to snowblow.

After a rather warm rainy Sunday - in which a LOT of white piles got knocked down
& ALL the ice between the garage door & the road disappeared, & the Cross Bones
was whining to be released from hibernation, welcome to Monday March 7th.

8:00AM: Truck doors frozen & unwilling to open - need mechanical advantage.
8:05AM: Best MA/ least physical damage option appears to be a pickle fork.
8:10AM: Finally get the door open grab the scraper from the back seat & figger
I'll let er warm up while doing my scraper chores...
8:11AM: Crank - no fire. Crank - no fire. Repeat 5-6 times - same result. Shucks.
8:13AM: Hi honey, I'm home!
8:15AM: Back at the computer. Called into work. Fresh pot of Joe. Fresh bag of Cleanfires in the '43.
Just another winter day hear in Eastern NY...

ALL snow around my yard and in the neighborhood is pretty much GONE.....thank God..!! But let me keep my mouth shot 'cause the moment you realize we get another blizzard, so shhhhhhhh

For those of us in the NE US, our friends at the Climate Prediction Center (division of the National Weather Service/NOAA) have some good news for us if you look at the temperature display in the 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks...

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

Looks like Winter may FINALLY lose its grip on the NE US. Above normal temps for March usually means upper 40°F or lower 50°F range. Might have to begin planning my end-of-season pellet furnace and leaf blower cleaning.

ChrisWNY said:
For those of us in the NE US, our friends at the Climate Prediction Center (division of the National Weather Service/NOAA) have some good news for us if you look at the temperature display in the 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks...

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

Looks like Winter may FINALLY lose its grip on the NE US. Above normal temps for March usually means upper 40°F or lower 50°F range. Might have to begin planning my end-of-season pellet furnace and leaf blower cleaning.

Don't look to closely at that as the same folks say for the entire month it will be normal.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Don't look to closely at that as the same folks say for the entire month it will be normal.

True, but that really means equal chances of above and below average temp. anomalies. The 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks are much more confident than a monthly outlook, which could go either way, unless the CPC sees a pattern that hints otherwise, of course it's all a probability game so they could be right or wrong regardless of how confident they are on a climate pattern. All I know is that I can count on one hand how many times the NE US has had an above average temp outlook from the CPC since December 2010. It's been a huge rarity this year.

DAKSY said:
Franks said:

After a rather warm rainy Sunday - in which a LOT of white piles got knocked down
& ALL the ice between the garage door & the road disappeared, & the Cross Bones
was whining to be released from hibernation, welcome to Monday March 7th.

8:00AM: Truck doors frozen & unwilling to open - need mechanical advantage.
8:05AM: Best MA/ least physical damage option appears to be a pickle fork.
8:10AM: Finally get the door open grab the scraper from the back seat & figger
I'll let er warm up while doing my scraper chores...
8:11AM: Crank - no fire. Crank - no fire. Repeat 5-6 times - same result. Shucks.
8:13AM: Hi honey, I'm home!
8:15AM: Back at the computer. Called into work. Fresh pot of Joe. Fresh bag of Cleanfires in the '43.
Just another winter day hear in Eastern NY...

8:00AM to the truck? Bankers hours!

That was some heavy snow by the way. Cleared the driveway after work.

Franks said:
DAKSY said:
Franks said:
Nice day Sunday here in CNY.
That was some heavy snow by the way. Cleared the driveway after work.

NO doubt! We ended up with around 22" and they were using bucket loaders to plow some spots rather than trucks.

29 inches at my house in northern Vermont. I spent about 6 hours on my tractor snow blowing my two driveways. Good times!

Status
Not open for further replies.