1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another fun little development

Post in 'The Green Room' started by begreen, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Very cool, but their development was aimed at performance. I wonder how much range or MPG could be achieved if performance were kept to a more sedate target.....Like 150 bhp vs 650. 100 mpg vs 80(which is still darned impressive), or a Honda Odyssey instead of a Mini. We need real world and practical solutions for the masses, not the niche markets. Honda's, toyota, and ford's hybrid's are a step in the right direction, with the exception of the Insight, but again, Honda puts hybrid drive into a car with a V6 and achieves stunning performance, but misses the point. We need triple digit fuel economy.

About 4 or 5 years ago I read an article on a Dodge Intreped that got 80 mpg...Where the heck is Dodge with that car?
  3. Burn-1

Burn-1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    Look for production models in 2-3 years

Dodge Intrepid ESX
  4. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Cool, Yup that's the one. be great if the actually got them to market. They'd turn the company around with that one car.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I think they are thinking more practically. They say that doing this to a BMW Mini presented lots of challenges - not very light, not a lot of room for batteries, etc. and that if they could conquer this problem then retrofitting mom's minivan should be more straight-forward. Me, I'd like to see a car, truck, mini or whatever designed from the ground up with their motors and controllers. I particularly like that the vehicle can run so long on regenerative braking. If true, that's a big breakthrough. The Prius takes a lot of downhills or long, slow stops to charge up the battery bank.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.