Another fun little development

Post in 'The Green Room' started by begreen, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. begreen

begreen
    Expand Collapse
    Mooderator
    Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Collapse Signature Expand Signature

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wg_bent

wg_bent
    Expand Collapse
    Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Very cool, but their development was aimed at performance. I wonder how much range or MPG could be achieved if performance were kept to a more sedate target.....Like 150 bhp vs 650. 100 mpg vs 80(which is still darned impressive), or a Honda Odyssey instead of a Mini. We need real world and practical solutions for the masses, not the niche markets. Honda's, toyota, and ford's hybrid's are a step in the right direction, with the exception of the Insight, but again, Honda puts hybrid drive into a car with a V6 and achieves stunning performance, but misses the point. We need triple digit fuel economy.

About 4 or 5 years ago I read an article on a Dodge Intreped that got 80 mpg...Where the heck is Dodge with that car?

3. Burn-1

Burn-1
    Expand Collapse
    Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    Look for production models in 2-3 years

Dodge Intrepid ESX

4. wg_bent

wg_bent
    Expand Collapse
    Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Cool, Yup that's the one. be great if the actually got them to market. They'd turn the company around with that one car.

5. begreen

begreen
    Expand Collapse
    Mooderator
    Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I think they are thinking more practically. They say that doing this to a BMW Mini presented lots of challenges - not very light, not a lot of room for batteries, etc. and that if they could conquer this problem then retrofitting mom's minivan should be more straight-forward. Me, I'd like to see a car, truck, mini or whatever designed from the ground up with their motors and controllers. I particularly like that the vehicle can run so long on regenerative braking. If true, that's a big breakthrough. The Prius takes a lot of downhills or long, slow stops to charge up the battery bank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.