Another Glass Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown56

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2007
bedford nh
I've had my stove for about three months now and clean the glass every ten days or so, or when I can't stand looking at it anymore. I clean the glass with water with a little ash in it and it does a good job, but after a few days the glass develops a white film that doesn't burn off. You can still see through it, it's just annoying. Any ideas?

Jim

same situation here jbrown, plain water cleans up my glass just fine, but I get the same film you're talkin' about. Guess it part of OSLO life eh?

that is typical dont let it stay on the glass to long you can burn the white haze into the glass

Buy some Rutland White Off, works well.

hummm I wonder if it's the minerals in the hard water that's chalking up those windows. We just got a stove with glass so I'm going to pay attention here and see what's up.

savageactor7 said:
hummm I wonder if it's the minerals in the hard water that's chalking up those windows. We just got a stove with glass so I'm going to pay attention here and see what's up.

That can also contribute to it.

I use dry paper towel first then spritz a little Windex on the towel and wipe again. It's crystal clear after that. The white stuff on my glass I'm sure is just ash residue. I do burn my Englander 13 NCP fairly hot most of the time.

jbrown56,
For the whitish haze use fine steel wool “number 0” or less and it will do the trick (use your hearth glove) and you can do it while its hot. Just a couple quick wipes back and forth with medium to light pressure. If it's really baked on, use Glass stove top cleaner when cool.

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.