Another "Help ME choose a stove" thread!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL Well, I suppose we could make some bread by selling it.

Okay, now I guess I need some more suggestions! My husband has decided that he wants a completely steel stove, since he can weld and might be able to fix the stove if there are ever any rust issues due to the salt in our wood. (bummer, I was digging that Alderlea design!) So, any suggestions? Again, Non-Cat, 860 Sq Ft house.

Lol!

There are a million steel stoves.... They are a dime a dozen.

The Alderlea IS a completely steel stove, on the inside. The castiron jacket is wrapped around a steel interior.

The True North is a good economy stove but it does not have the advanced stainless baffle secondary system as on the Pacific Energy Super 27/Spectrum/Alderlea T5. It has conventional secondary tubes instead.

There are a million steel stoves.... They are a dime a dozen.

... and cast iron or soapstone stoves aren't? Not sure I'm following you.

There are some cheap steel stoves... it's a cheap medium in which to work. But there are also steel stoves that will outperform your dolled-up soapstone.

Reactions: HotCoals
... and cast iron or soapstone stoves aren't? Not sure I'm following you.

There are some cheap steel stoves... it's a cheap medium in which to work.

The point was there are ALOT of Steel stoves to choose from. It was not a comparison of any sort. And PS-There are only 2 basic Soapstone stove company's (Woodstock and Hearthstone) for the most part. There are a few others that "use" soapstone, but they are just for looks, they are not true "Sopastone stoves" per say.

But there are also steel stoves that will outperform your dolled-up soapstone.

Now that I very highly doubt.

Now that I very highly doubt.

If BK could make a stove that looked half as nice as a Jotul or VC, you'd see a lot of us switching over. Last I checked, they're steel stoves.

I guess im confused about the TN 19 because their website says it has "secondary stainless steel combustion system." Part of our thought process is that My husband can weld onto both the inside and outside if needed (warming shelves, etc.), and that it is cheap and we sure dont want to destroy a $2300 (alderlea) stove with salty wood... All i know is that I have HAD it with this wood gobbling Fisher. It is a mess and we have to load it every few HOURS. We just got our house energy rated so we can finally buy a new one and eventually, probably get reimbursed. I am ready to buy if we could just decide!

The problem I see is, your not going to like the burn times of the straight steel stoves, that is not their strong point. I think they tend to heat fast and hot, not long.

Tough spot really..... If I were sticktly heating a place in Alaska, I would probably go with A BK. That would give you the longest burn time, and alot of fire-power if required (really cold out). BUt, that ha a CAT, and I'm not sure that will work with your salt. Have you tried calling BK or Woodstock or other CAT stove manufacturer and discussing it with them?

The
The problem I see is, your not going to like the burn times of the straight steel stoves, that is not their strong point. I think they tend to heat fast and hot, not long.

Tough spot really..... If I were sticktly heating a place in Alaska, I would probably go with A BK. That would give you the longest burn time, and alot of fire-power if required (really cold out). BUt, that ha a CAT, and I'm not sure that will work with your salt. Have you tried calling BK or Woodstock or other CAT stove manufacturer and discussing it with them?

The state program we are enrolled in for reimbursement specifies non-cat. Also we live in the warmest part of Alaska. The "warm" ocean currents keep us around 40 degrees. We have had less than 14 days of subfreezing temps all winter.

Your dilemma sounds like mine! I really love the Alderlea and it gets such great reviews on here. We're probably going to go with a True North for our cabin though, just because there are a lot of things to spend money on at the moment, and hopefully in a few years we can sell it on and buy an Alderlea.

Have you thought about getting a PE Super27? It still has the stainless baffle and I think with discounts from our local dealers at the moment it's going for around $1350-ish (Cdn). Really not that much more of a price difference than the True North ($1000 with side heat shields and no discount). I think I might be convincing myself too ;lol ...

... Also we live in the warmest part of Alaska. The "warm" ocean currents keep us around 40 degrees. We have had less than 14 days of subfreezing temps all winter.

That's amazing, I would have never thought there was such a warm place in Alaska. I live on the "warm" Ocean water on Long Island. For us, it works both ways. Some days we get warmer air than the inland area's from the warm ocean warming the air. But some days, we get the COLD ocean winds, and northern cold air, which makes us colder than the inland area's.

Your dilemma sounds like mine! I really love the Alderlea and it gets such great reviews on here. We're probably going to go with a True North for our cabin though, just because there are a lot of things to spend money on at the moment, and hopefully in a few years we can sell it on and buy an Alderlea.

Have you thought about getting a PE Super27? It still has the stainless baffle and I think with discounts from our local dealers at the moment it's going for around $1350-ish (Cdn). Really not that much more of a price difference than the True North ($1000 with side heat shields and no discount). I think I might be convincing myself too ;lol ...

Cynnergy,
i'll be up your way all next week. Going skiiing at Whistler! ;)

Hmmm, just pulled out the True North brochure and it does say 'stainless steel secondary combustion system.' But I'm sure BG is right and it has ceramic tubes, no stainless at all.

Cynnergy, i'll be up your way all next week. Going skiiing at Whistler! ;)

Have fun Machria! Lots of rain here today after some nice weather last week. I hear Whistler is getting snow this morning but rain this afternoon <>.

I guess im confused about the TN 19 because their website says it has "secondary stainless steel combustion system." Part of our thought process is that My husband can weld onto both the inside and outside if needed (warming shelves, etc.), and that it is cheap and we sure dont want to destroy a $2300 (alderlea) stove with salty wood... All i know is that I have HAD it with this wood gobbling Fisher. It is a mess and we have to load it every few HOURS. We just got our house energy rated so we can finally buy a new one and eventually, probably get reimbursed. I am ready to buy if we could just decide!

Get in touch with Tom Oyen at www.chimneysweeponline.com. He has sold several stoves to folks living in coastal Alaska and BC. The TN19 has stainless secondary tubes. The Super 27 has a stainless box baffle. Based on previous postings that seems to stand up better to salts than steel tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.