Another help me spend my money, saw purchase thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stihl is a little more rigorous in what training they require as you said, but in this case you get the benefit of trained techs no matter what saw you buy.

I really like Stihl, but in this case for the money, I would go with the extra 10cc of saw. Both will do what you need, but you can only push a small saw so far before you wish it was bigger. I cut several tri-axle loads with a 50cc saw, it just took a while.

I still say go 590, and see if the dealer will cut you a break if you buy another bar/chain for it. an 18" makes it lighter, and keeps the nose out of trouble for you.

Whatever you decide, we like pics!

with .320? chain

I am biased to Stihl, but I do believe either will do what you require and you will be happy with either one you purchase.

Do the Echo's have primer bulbs? I try to avoid equipment with those, I just don't think they are as well made.........

I prefer Stihl, but Husqvarna is a close 2nd. I've never run an Echo chainsaw but my Echo string trimmer has served me well over the years. Also, my FIL has an Echo leaf blower that is crazy light and runs strong no issues ever. It sounds like you have a very good Stihl dealer and IMO that should be a significant factor in a purchase decision. My only input is that if you can find the extra coin to step up to a pro-level saw you won't regret it. The MS261 will pull a 20" bar if you need it to, but 16-18" is its sweet spot. I had one for almost 2 years and I highly recommend it if you stick with Stihl.

I have not ever used echo, but looking at the link bobdog2002 provided, I am impressed. For the same price if the saw felt solid I would give it a try. Especially since the warranty is 5 years and Stihl's isn't even half of that, in addition to the fact that you are getting a more powerful saw.

I don't think you will go wrong with either saw, and I don't think you will be unhappy with either (if you keep your chain sharp)........for your intended use, you will be happy no matter what you do. The good news is you have a servicing dealer no matter what you decide.

Let us know

The decision has been made. After looking the 271 and 590 over one more time. I decided to go with the Stihl ms291(18" bar), it was a few bucks more but I feel I got a decent middle ground. Plus it is the saw I have had my eye on for the last year lol. The Echo while likely a great saw just didn't feel as solidly built around the handle area to me. Quite plasticy feeling. I feel good about the purchase and I'm stoked for the weekend to go try her out! I made a few cuts on the wood I brought home a few days ago, and it rips compared to what I am used to!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398296667672.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398296667672.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 173
Congrat's BillsD! It all comes down to what feels right and sure you'll be a happy guy once you start using it in anger. How was the dealer experience, did they hand you a box or fuel it and show you how to start it etc.?

Wow, my exact upgrade 4 years ago.....I went from an old homelite to a MS290. You will not be disappointed.

If your 291 came with a semi-chisel chain (likely the semi-chisel, low-kickback Stihl RM3), try a full chisel chain (RS). You'll be even more impressed.

If your 291 came with a semi-chisel chain (likely the semi-chisel, low-kickback Stihl RM3), try a full chisel chain (RS). You'll be even more impressed.
+ 1 to that. Even semi-chisel without the anti-kickback features will amaze you compared to what Stihl starts you with.

Status
Not open for further replies.