Another help with ID wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
This wood seems very dense. The xylem seems to have scrimshaw like drawings on it. Was cut mostly into blocks with very little or no bark. It was scrounged in either southern NH or northern MA.

What do you reckon?

Attachments

• wood1.JPG
    wood1.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 539
it certainly looks like rotting sugar maple.

It looks like it is from the base of the tree too - so the wood is very dense and not easy to split.

"it certainly looks like rotting sugar maple."

A piece or two has rotted, but most is really solid.

"It looks like it is from the base of the tree too - so the wood is very dense and not easy to split."

Yes, my maul just bounces off of it. I have about 15 pieces cut into blocks, each the size of a milk crate or smaller. Since I have enough wood for 08-09 & 09-10, it will be for the following season. Hopefully 2 years will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.