Another ID help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddw

Jan 30, 2014
Georgia
image.jpg I took this one down today. The top had already come out of it and was straight about 40'. I'm still trying to learn ito dentify. I'm thinking some variety of hickory.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 155
I scrounged some stuff that looked just like that a few weeks ago, and posted an ID thread as well. There really wasn't a consensus, but when I split it it had that characteristic red oak smell. It doesn't look like most red oak I get around her, but I believe that it is somekind of related species

Post a picture of the end.

It's oak. Oak is good! ALL oak is good. Hope you have a lot of it.

Well when I was in South Carolina this fall, I was told there are something like 35 different species of oak in the state, from the mountains to the coast. I'm sure GA is not much different - if anything, probably a few more species. Good chance it's an oak of some kind!

White oak.

It is oak, and I'd say White Oak if it was here in Pennsylvania. Down in Georgia you have White Oak, so that is my best guess, but you also have several types of oak that don't grow here so I don't know what they look like. It could be one of the oaks I don't see often, but it is definitely oak. I can see the medullary rays on the end grain, which are characteristic of all oaks.

I like to harvest the dead stuff. Its kinda like double free that way.
Its good to see the dead trees coming to good use. Great use for heating homes.
I do it and I appreciate others who do it.
Spare the live healthy ones and clean the woodlot.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Ironspider:

That's red oak

Nice, two years and I got some good wood, all clean and straight too. I think the guy I got it from has tons more bit there is about a foot of ice and snow all over his wood.

Ironspider - yes that is a hijack and the wood is Red Oak.. I wouldn't worry about offending anyone with a hijack, but I'd worry maybe you won't get an answer next time because your post won't get noticed. Fortunately BigBarf knows his oaks.

Sorry about the hijack I'm not sure how mods feel about yet another wood id thread.

Ain't nobody offending me. That's more I can learn from. So many oaks it's hard to tell the difference. What's obvious differences between oak and hickory?

Ain't nobody offending me. That's more I can learn from. So many oaks it's hard to tell the difference. What's obvious differences between oak and hickory?

I dont ever really get hickory, but red oak specifically is easy to tell from every other type of wood. It smells VERY strongly of vinegar, and usually its real easy to split. Ive also found that some smaller/denser/gnarlier oak branches have a crimped or wavy grain look to a split face. Pin oak has smooth bark, small leaves, and smells like cat crap. I find it harder to split than red oak. I dont get much white oak, but its generally gonna have flakier bark than red oak, and wont smell so strong. I also find it has a yellow-ish tint to the wood as opposed to the light red of red oak. Theres lots of other species of oak, but around here they all fall pretty much into one of the above classifications. Hope that helps with your oak ID'ing

One has acorns and the other has nuts. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.