Another "ID this stove..."

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Midwest
I throw this picture up every few years to see if anyone has any thought on a manufacturer. There are no tags or other identifying marks. It was originally built as a 'slammer' - it had a ~3" x 14" slot in the top to dump smoke into a chimney. It had a simple steel baffle which I've since replaced it with a full secondary air system. I've had thoughts of maybe an old buck or lopi - and seen a few of each with similar styles, but nothing exact. So if you have any thoughts feel free let me know.

insert.jpg

cozy heat said:
I throw this picture up every few years to see if anyone has any thought on a manufacturer. There are no tags or other identifying marks. It was originally built as a 'slammer' - it had a ~3" x 14" slot in the top to dump smoke into a chimney. It had a simple steel baffle which I've since replaced it with a full secondary air system. I've had thoughts of maybe an old buck or lopi - and seen a few of each with similar styles, but nothing exact. So if you have any thoughts feel free let me know.

insert.jpg
Well, it is not a Buck like any I know of, and not a Lopi I know of, but it is a beautiful thing, in my opinion :) 'Course, us old Smoke Dragon guys are a rare breed. Funny how warm those suckers kept me while you EPA guys were in diapers :coolsmile: I know, I know, I am going to be crucified. but it is worth it. :p

cozy heat, is the handle on the bottom to an ash drawer. I really was hoping Weby or some of the other "OLD" stove guys would chime in here. I am really interested in your stove. I have just never seen one like it. I am going to keep bumpin this thing. :)

Webmaster said:
I don't recognize it...and I have seem most of 'em over the years!
That usually means a local or regional model....although they sure spent some money on the door patterns....nice doors!
Thanks, Craig, I thought the same thing. I know I am old, and I sure do appreciate the new stuff, but I think it is a beautiful stove, whoever made it. Sounds like Cozy heat has it working good! :coolsmile:

tfdchief said:
Funny how warm those suckers kept me while you EPA guys were in diapers :coolsmile:

Some of us EPA guys probably aren't far away from Depends. ;-)

BrotherBart said:
tfdchief said:
Funny how warm those suckers kept me while you EPA guys were in diapers :coolsmile:

Some of us EPA guys probably aren't far away from Depends. ;-)
Well, now, that is the funniest thing I have heard all day.......think I will go to bed on that one! Thanks, BB, one old guy to another! :snake:

Well, now we have two officials and no answer - so maybe this is really an unknown local model. I've only ever seen one other and it was on a local craigslist, too.

As you suspect, the brass handle is an ash pan. The two silver handles above that are air inlets (I've converted them to be my new air inlets) The handles at the top / above the doors are also air inlets - I basically welded them up and blocked off. The firebox is really unique. The top actually follows the arch of the doors somewhat (outlined in red) and tapers several inches front to back. (smaller in the back) Originally, it was designed to have two ~5" fans in the bottom air inlets and air flowing out the top outlets. I put a 14" fan in the back and cut a hole in the top/outer skin to let more hot air circulate right at the top of the firebox. (You can see a bit of the brass grating and reflection on the very top)

Arched firebox
firebox.jpg

I have no idea, but I had to say the ash handle and two knobs (?) above make a great smilie face.

Status
Not open for further replies.