Another ID thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redyute

Feeling the Heat
Dec 4, 2015
southern maryland
Got a few of those cut on my buddy's property he called me up to come get them. No idea what they are but they appear to be some kind of hardwood .
20201121_143759.jpg
20201121_143846.jpg
20201121_143846.jpg

I'm no expert in ID from photos but the second
photo looks a lot like Cherry Bark

First photo looks like chestnut oak. Second looks like white oak.

I'd be surprised if that second photo is anything but white oak.

Both are great firewood, though I prefer white oak and red oak to chestnut.

+1 for chestnut oak AND white oak

Wish I was a little closer, I'd be happy to come on over and take 3-4 rounds of each back to my lab and do a proper and thorough investigation into the species, maybe even burn the splits out of the rounds after a few years to double check that I was right. Just to be helpful, you understand.

Wish I was a little closer, I'd be happy to come on over and take 3-4 rounds of each back to my lab and do a proper and thorough investigation into the species, maybe even burn the splits out of the rounds after a few years to double check that I was right. Just to be helpful, you understand.
No doubt i say you maybe 8 hrs away, we all could use some accurate test results here. Get ready to do some splitting to, this is all necessary steps needed for science

Who said generosity is lost?

Road Trip