Another idea for a boiler room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leaddog

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2007
Hesperia, Michigan
My mind was going the other day as I was getting my tractor out of my semi-storage trailer that I buried down at ground level. It made fantastic storage and tractor garage really cheap and it brought to mind a boiler room I saw while researching gasifiers. This was a portable unit in a shipping container. Now some places 20ft shipping containers are very reasonable. They are steel (fire-proof), sturdy, and large enough for the boiler, large tank, and wood. It would be very easy to side them to make them compatable with the landscape and with them on blocks they wouldn't add to the tax burden. If you build a round tank 7ft x 7ft in the back you would have 2000gal storage and it would be easy to insulate as 3 of the walls would be there. There would be plenty
of room for the boiler in the middle and with wood stored on both side in the front with a walk way you would have a neat, practical, and cheap boiler room. Just one more option.
Leaddog

leaddog said:
with them on blocks they wouldn't add to the tax burden

Leaddog

Lol, I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt that you just shot from the hip . . . like most taxpayers . . . . anyway . . here in NY, property taxes (Google that the next time you have trouble sleeping) are a combination of a levy and market value. On the MV side, the question is whether or not your boiler room adds value to the property, not whether it is 'on blocks'. If the residence has no other heat source, and this boiler room comfortable heats the residence, then it absolutly adds value. For those of us that have two heat sources (fossil and non) the question becomes how much - if any - value does that wood fired hydronic add to the market value.

But, back to your post . . .I think that is indeed a cool idea. When you sell your house you could take it with you, especially if you cannot get any more for your house by leaving it there.

Jimbo

Here in Michigan anything that isn't permanent isn't taxed. Thats why I got two semi-trailers. I set them in the ground. Alot of people buy these small storage shed for the same purpose. They just have to be movable. I hadn't thought about moving them if you moved but that is another plus. I saw on another fourum where a guy built a large pole building useing two 40ft containers on the sides with a span between. Vermin proof and lockable. He said it was cheaper than building from scratch.
Leaddog

I like it. Make sure you've got plenty of ventilation, though.

It's a great idea. I've contemplated building a complete system in a container, insulating it, and then finishing it on the outside with siding to match the house. It would be as close to a pain-free installation as you could get, I would think.

Might be a business there.....

add a mini-bar and a cot, and you've got :lol: sanctuary when you PackMySuitcase

I saw a Garn boiler in a shipping container in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It had big doors at one end to accomodate wood storage and a small side door that allowed people access. Overall it was a nice neat insattaltion. My wife was keen to the idea of a Garn boiler, but not to the shipping container in our backyard. She puts that in the same catagory as me wanting a caboose in the backyard. NFW. No way.

Chris Fallis said:
I saw a Garn boiler in a shipping container in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It had big doors at one end to accomodate wood storage and a small side door that allowed people access. Overall it was a nice neat insattaltion. My wife was keen to the idea of a Garn boiler, but not to the shipping container in our backyard. She puts that in the same catagory as me wanting a caboose in the backyard. NFW. No way.
I think that might have been the one that I saw when I was researching. It was in Alaska and I think it was a garn. You can side it with a nice roof and no one would know what it was. It would fit right in. I had better stop thinking about it or I just might move mine.
The idea I had for the tank would be to build a round one useing steel roofing and band it with metal strapping. Line it with foam insulation for the epdm to rest on and build a wall in the front with assess. Then you could put lots of fiberglass around it. A 7ft x7ft high would be about 2000gal. If you had a 40ft container you could even store 2 years wood.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.