another install ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kartracer

Jan 5, 2009
Vale NC
I recently asked about installing an englander stove in my inlaws house.I looked at the house good tonight and the stove will go in the basement.Begreen was correct,the chimney is on exterior wall,but it is the carport.The basement is about 3/4 length of the house.The previous owner had a stove and the setup is a clay thimble thru the concrete wall into the flue.The flue is I guess what you would call a dead end flue.There is only about 2 inches of flue lower than the thimble.My question is,none of the clearance are a problem other than the drop ceiling.It is 11 inches above the top of the thimble.Can we use use double wall black pipe and be ok?Where the pipe goes into the thimble,would you just run a piece of single wall thru it or what?

My mother inlaw was given a jotul 8 series this week.It has the rotary control in front and appears to be in pretty good shape but needs cleaning up.Would this stove be worth messing with?I advised them to get the new stove and fix this one up and sell it to offset the costs.

You can't beat free. I have a few friends that heat 24/7 with old Jotul stoves, they are very dependable heaters. If it checks out good I'd use it. It sounds like you wil be OK with double wall connector pipe. Is the thimble sized to the stove?

The Jotul 8 was the predecessor to the F400 and was a decent stove. It doesn't have a large firebox, but if pushed can heat pretty well.

We'll need more info about the basement and house. Is the basement insulated? Heating from this location is often less than successful unless the location of the stove and a large opening to the living area (open staircase) make it work. Otherwise there may be a lot of trips to the basement to feed the stove, keeping the basement at 80 and the upstairs at 65. End result, a lot of wood consumed for not a lot of comfort unless in the basement.

The stove is an area heater. Look to see if there is any possibility of it being installed upstairs where they can use the heat.

Previous thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49557/

If the basement is uninsulated, and there is limited opportunity for air to exchange between upstairs & downstairs, then no matter what you do, the basement is going to heat up and lose the heat out the walls and floor, and the upstairs is going to see little benefit for all your trouble. To address another question, there, of course, are ways to install liners in chimney flues and connect the tees at the bottom with limited access. Double wall stovepipe (connector pipe) should be fine with the ceiling clearance. What you need to focus on is insulation, air movement, and a stove that can provide what you're expecting it to provide. I'm thinking the Englander 30 might be a place to start. Either that, or (preferably) find a place to put a nice woodburner upstairs where the people are. Rick

They're not real concerned with heating the upstairs,they're just looking to help offset the costs.I have a bis ultima and i'll take care of the wood for them,since they're in their early 70's.The entrance to the basement is open and has a bit of a draft.What would be the correct way to run the pipe?The jotul has a 7 inch pipe according to the measurements I took and what it says on the back of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.