Another Jotul Rockport 550 thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Other thread has gotten quite long so I decided to start another one.

Any of you have your secondary flames shut off about an hour into a burn?

I can load up. Top temp. with IR about 650-700*. Air shut 75% of the way. Secondaries burn nicely - rolling along the top of the wood. About 1 to 1 1/2 hours I suddenly will loose the flame on the bottom that is feeding the air tubes and all flaming stops in the firebox and smoke starts coming out chimney. I have to open it up 1/2 way to finish off the burn.

No fans are on in the house. No dryer or other things requiring combustible air - I checked that after someone suggested that may be the problem.

So now I come to you since you are all burning with the 550.

My chimney in internal masonary and is 15ft. straight up. Wood is 20% or less hard wood.

Not getting long burns right now. Can start off after coals after 5-6 hrs. Not loading enough in the stove I think.

carl spackler said:
Not getting long burns right now. Can start off after coals after 5-6 hrs. Not loading enough in the stove I think.

That sounds like what I get too.

I am home during the day and like to keep temps. in mid 70's. I get active flame for about 1 1/2 hours then go into coaling. Depending on outside temps. I may add more wood after about 4 hours or if it is warm the heat from the coals keeps things warm until mid-afternoon when I will reload and start all over again.

We do not keep a fire going during the night unless it is below 20*. House stays around 58* -60* at night. Heats up pretty quickly once fire gets going in the A.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.