Another lame Winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally cold here in PA too. 17F last night, colder tonight. First time I've heard the electric baseboard thermostats activate this season. It's times like this that I wish I was home enough to burn 24/7. Luckily, propane is much cheaper this year.

I always find it fascinating how our perception of "cold" or "lame" winters is influenced by one or two significant events, not necessarily by measured temperatures or total snowfall over the winter.
It seems to me that winters with a lot of snow are typically considered "bad" winters, even if measured temperatures are not low. Also, snowfall on weekdays impacts us more, so a year with lots of snow, but falling on weekends is remembered as not being so bad. We remember the extremes, last year, the mildest winter on record just about everywhere, had a very cold week in January here in the NE, prompting someone on this site to suggest that NOAA was manipulating the numbers because he remembered one cold week, but had forgotten all those other frost-free nights...

TE

Reactions: pen
My perception of "lame" directly correlates the amount of days (or nights for that matter) in a given winter that are below freezing, regardless of the amount of snow we get or if we get any at all.

Folks, up until this week in SE PA it has been a lame winter. Average daily temp, very, very warm swings and total snowfall included. I will enjoy burning this week. We shall see what she has in store for us. Hopefully some large snowfalls.

Back when I followed the Dead around ( pre-'85) I had a friend from Oneonta.

I used to drive that route from Westchester to Syracuse frequently. Got caught in a blizzard one Easter that was a real doozy. Made it finally but it was some ride.

I used to drive that route from Westchester to Syracuse frequently. Got caught in a blizzard one Easter that was a real doozy. Made it finally but it was some ride.

What a long, strange trip it's been.

Indeed, I was truckin' in a 67' Barracuda S and it had an 8-track!

Reactions: Dune
Status
Not open for further replies.