1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another lesson learned

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by bluedogz, Dec 15, 2011.

1. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    I learned a lot from installing my chimney liner with Hogwildz, about what the inside of my chimney looks like, how liners work, etc. etc. And now I can burn safely!

What I also learned is, sometime's it's better to hire stuff done. I'm missing one arm and the other is held together with screws- not the best ingredients for lifting weight over your head. Took my first sick day in 5 years to take Aleve and feel sorry for myself. Ugh.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Minister of Fire

Sorry that you're not feeling well--hope that it passes soon! Hot baths can work wonders.

Agreed that sometimes hiring something done is worth the $$. I paid someone to come out last Saturday to help work up wood. He had a 25" bar on his chainsaw, and background with a tree service in Oregon. He sliced my woodpile up for $30 a cord, chopped wood for $30 a cord, and for a little more, helped us get it stacked under cover. That was Saturday, and he planned to come back Monday to finish up.

On Saturday night I looked at the forecast ice storm and told my son we'd have to finish it up ourselves in the morning. I woke up to the sound of wood getting chucked. This guy had looked at the forecast too, and realized we needed his help, and came. The three of us worked until afternoon, and had the job wrapped up. My son and I couldn't have finished it ourselves in time to beat the predicted rain (turned out not to be bad). Paid the guy $240, and felt like it was money well spent. He's happy, I'm happy. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.