Another load, a little more splitting and stacking. Nice weather.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
High sixties today. Nice to work in the short sleeves and have no bugs.

Attachments

• DSCF1734.jpg
    DSCF1734.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 494
  • DSCF1735.jpg
    DSCF1735.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 504
NICE! Ash? Enjoy the weather while it lasts.

FireAnt said:
NICE! Ash? Enjoy the weather while it lasts.

Thanks. Yes, Ash and some pine.

Gasifier,

Nice stuff! Hey whats in the metal building?
How big a piece of land ya on?

I am trying to upload some pics of a load I got today.
Having trouble with imageshack.com will try later.

I got an entire triple axle tree truck of oak!! for $100

Will you split any of the rounds that are stacked against the fence?
most look like 3" - 4" stuff a few bigger ones I guess

Stax said:
Gas...lookin good...and the truck...even better!

Thanks Stax. The wood cost a lot less. But I like the truck!

Gasifier,
Nice stuff! Hey whats in the metal building?

That is my neighbors work shop and storage building.

How big a piece of land ya on?
I have 1.2 acres. But have access to another 80 acres of woodland.

I am trying to upload some pics of a load I got today.
Having trouble with imageshack.com will try later.
I got an entire triple axle tree truck of oak!! for $100

Will be waiting for the pictures Mike.
Nice score, that is awesome. Now you got your work cut out for you. As soon as you get the chance get that Oak all split up small. It takes a long time to dry out good. If you can, try to stack it where the sun and wind can get to it. If your space is limited, and wind blocked, hopefully you can stack it in a place the sun will get to it at least. You will need to have it drying for at least a year before you want to try to burn it. Some guys have to dry it for two full years before it is good for them. Depends on where you live, size you split it, if it gets sun and wind(good air flow), etc.

infinitymike said:
Will you split any of the rounds that are stacked against the fence?
most look like 3" - 4" stuff a few bigger ones I guess

If it is under 4" I usually don't bother splitting the rounds, as long as I know it will be stacked outside for 6 months or more. That is for Ash and Pine. It is better to split it at least once. Dries better. There are a few larger rounds in that pile that will get split when I move it in under the porch in the fall.

I got in from stacking at 8:30 PM; had been stacking since 6. Love the weather and lack of bugs. It was 50 degrees out. Head lamp is great.

velvetfoot said:
I got in from stacking at 8:30 PM; had been stacking since 6. Love the weather and lack of bugs. It was 50 degrees out. Head lamp is great.

That is dedication velvefoot. Good for you man. Wise to use good weather when you can. I hope to get more done on Thursday.

I'm taking tomorrow off, but the weather looks a little iffy.
I still have to mow leaves too.

You are making a big dent on getting way ahead on fire wood.

Looking great.
Nice pics

Thanks Dave. I wish I had more time. But I am lucky if I find a few hours a day on my days off. Oh, well. The work will still be there tomorrow. How is you supply for next year comin?

I took yesterday off too. Weather is GREAT! Nice truck, I couldn't see throwing wood into a pretty truck like that - especially if I was making payments on the truck. My 03 Dodge has 130K and has been paid off 4 years now. It's a work truck!

basswidow said:
I took yesterday off too. Weather is GREAT! Nice truck, I couldn't see throwing wood into a pretty truck like that - especially if I was making payments on the truck. My 03 Dodge has 130K and has been paid off 4 years now. It's a work truck!

Thanks basswidow. For about eight years I was traveling 44 miles one way to work. So I had a four cylinder for that drive and a work truck for working with. Usually a beast like my Pinzgauer below,

boy do I miss that truck. Here is a link to more information on those. http://mogsrus.com/ Or my old work beast, a 1980s model Jeep J20 3/4 ton pickup truck with a winch built into the front bumper. Damn, can't find a picture of that right now. Oh, here is one.

But, a couple of years back I got a job just 4 miles from my house. Wow, two more hours a day with the family and saving a ton on gas and wear and tear on the vehicle. So now I am down to one vehicle. The 07 Tundra CrewMax. I always buy slightly used. Save thousands upon thousands of dollars. Just need to be careful you don't buy one that someone has beat the crap out of.

It is pretty easy to load wood into it without causing any damage. I always have a good bed liner in my trucks. And it is nice to have to only maintain and insure one truck, and the wife vehicle. I think two vehicles is better than three now. Although I really miss my Pinzgauer. :shut: Who knows, maybe some day I'll get one of the 712 models. The ground clearance on these trucks is awesome. Hydaulic locking front and rear differentials. Not real practical for the road. But off road, WOW! Cool to tool around town in. Talk about turning some heads and striking up a few conversations. :lol:

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 969
  • DSCF0396.jpg
    DSCF0396.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 940
Gasifier said:
Thanks Dave. I wish I had more time. But I am lucky if I find a few hours a day on my days off. Oh, well. The work will still be there tomorrow. How is you supply for next year comin?
Hey, a few hours at a time , it starts adding up. Don't need to do it all in one day.
Some days it's hard to get motivated, but once I get started, I enjoy it.
I got next years in the shed, got most of 13/14 rounded up & seasoning, some needs split & stacked.
If I get any more & I'll have a start on 14/15, May have to wait for early spring, snow made the access road to where I've been cutting to icy.
Maybe tire chains if I feel I need to get out & cut more. Seems to always be one thing or another that is higher on the list when you get ahead.
Good feeling though, few hours here & there & next thing you know, you are ahead. Finding wood that's accessible, having the motivation & time during winter is tougher. But overcoming the obstacles is part of the fun also.
Your stash is looking great. I bet it's a good feeling, to look & see it stacked & seasoning. Money $$ :)

Hey, a few hours at a time , it starts adding up. Don’t need to do it all in one day.
Some days it’s hard to get motivated, but once I get started, I enjoy it.
I got next years in the shed, got most of 13/14 rounded up & seasoning, some needs split & stacked.
If I get any more & I’ll have a start on 14/15, May have to wait for early spring, snow made the access road to where I’ve been cutting to icy.
Maybe tire chains if I feel I need to get out & cut more. Seems to always be one thing or another that is higher on the list when you get ahead.
Good feeling though, few hours here & there & next thing you know, you are ahead. Finding wood that’s accessible, having the motivation & time during winter is tougher. But overcoming the obstacles is part of the fun also.
Your stash is looking great. I bet it’s a good feeling, to look & see it stacked & seasoning. Money $$

Damn straight Dave. It is a good feeling. I am hoping to get at least 15 face cord c/s/s before the snow hits. Then add 5-10 more before the end of the year. As long as we don't get to much snow. I have to work a lot of hours over the next 5 days. So the wood will be on hold.

You must be feeling real good about having all that wood ahead. Good for you.
How are the temperatures up your way tonight? It is about 40 here right now.

Teens at night now, low to mid 20s day time, for a few days, snow flurries
then below zero to single digits lows & teen highs for next week.

It does feel good, It took a few years to get there, but now it don't seem as difficult to keep ahead.
Few loads here & there & hit it hard, a day or 2, when time & weather line up together.

Good job Gas. Enjoy the weather while you can. It turned a bit nippy here yesterday. Wednesday we had 63 degrees and rain. Thursday we had 40 degrees and snow.

Backwoods Savage said:
Good job Gas. Enjoy the weather while you can. It turned a bit nippy here yesterday. Wednesday we had 63 degrees and rain. Thursday we had 40 degrees and snow.

Thanks Dennis. Down to 30 here this morning, a little frost. The wood will have to wait until the middle of next week now. Time to go back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.