Another load of Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
Saturday was a good day in the woods with my son and grandson. This was a pretty big ash that was blown over in a storm this summer.
Doug cutting.JPG Steve cutting.JPG
My son and Me
Doug splitting.JPG Trent cutting.JPG
My son quartering the rounds and My little man felling his tree:)
Papa and Trent.JPG
Me with my grandson

Everything about the trip to the woods looks fun.
Great photo "play by play" :)

Reactions: ScotO and tfdchief
Way to get after again Chief. I took this Saturday off. Did haul a load good dry stuff to a fella from church today.

Love the pics and looks like a good day of work with the "guys".

great pics, love the one of the little guy felling the tree. He even notched it there!

Way to start 'em out young, Chief! He's already got the hang of it, next thing you know he'll be on here posting pics of his own stove and such!

Looks like a nice load of wood, and a great day out with loved ones!

It's great when you can get the truck right next to the tree, nice pics!

great pics, love the one of the little guy felling the tree. He even notched it there!
Yep, he did that all by himself.

Nice chunk of wood..............tfdchief, you need to go back with the family and get that leaner right next to it.
I should have taken a good picture of it. It is pretty scary looking.

And thinking about a year ago.... Good job Steve.

Reactions: tfdchief
Great pics chief!

Great pics chief!
Thanks, I love all the pics on here of cutting in the woods, so I have to post a few of my own once in while.;) Hoping everyone enjoys them as much as I enjoy theirs.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I do love it. Not my favorite, but good wood.

Ash ranks up there for me... I find it roughly equal to white birch in it's heat... I find it works well between shoulder season and when the big guns are needed.... it also works great tossed in with a few locust spits so you can keep the stack in the green without blasting yourself out of the house...

that was one big ash.... you don't see them get that big around here...
BC, We have a lot of them in the river bottoms around here and yes, they generally get pretty big. Good soil I guess. But if you want to see a big one, well here is a big one.::-)
Big Ash.jpg

::-)

BC, We have a lot of them in the river bottoms around here and yes, they generally get pretty big. Good soil I guess. But if you want to see a big one, well here is a big one.::-)
View attachment 92230

around here most ashes seem to die by chainsaw somewhere around the 12-14" mark... They grow very, very fast too..

Yep, he did that all by himself.

I should have taken a good picture of it. It is pretty scary looking.
Really hate leaning trees. Way dangerous because the usually are hung up on some other trees.
Good to get your boy off to a good start. He'll learn it right and know what not to do.

Really hate leaning trees. Way dangerous because the usually are hung up on some other trees.
Good to get your boy off to a good start. He'll learn it right and know what not to do.

I've got a large dying oak laying against a dead pine on my lot behind my house.... I haven't figured out how to take them down safely...

Nice post TFDchief! What year is your Ford. Looks like a good worker. You grandson, son, and the truck.;)

View attachment 92230

I have cut a few good size Ash in my days. Dat a big un!

I've got a large dying oak laying against a dead pine on my lot behind my house.... I haven't figured out how to take them down safely..
BC, be careful, they call them "widow makers" for good reason.

Nice post TFDchief! What year is your Ford. Looks like a good worker. You grandson, son, and the truck.;)
It is an 88, F250, straight 6, 4 speed with OD. It is a good old truck and will haul EVERYTHING you can put in it.;)

"widow makers", I don't think there is a year go by but we read about someone being found with a tree on top of them. That and an overturned tractor being used to pull somthing out. Really hate to see someone working alone in the woods, but it is a way of life for many. I nearly got it once form a split with a kick back. That was from a tree that was holding back another tree from falling to the ground. That gave me some new respect for what I was doing and wasn't doing right.

Reactions: Shane N
Status
Not open for further replies.