Another Load To Fuel The Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Got this (Red) Pin Oak this morning. Still have a couple more loads to go. Just thought I'd share this with all the other firewood addicts. Some of the rounds are 18-20" diameter and heavy as hell. Best thing is it's free! :cheese:

Attachments

• red oak.jpg
    red oak.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 482
I just picked up 2 1/2 loads of (gasp) elm today!!! Only a ford ranger but hey I figure an easy 2 face cords plus!!!

Very nice score Todd. That would be only morning work around here now finally. 21C or about 70+ F and sunny today. Me ain`t doing the wood when she gets above 70. :coolsmile:

I must not be wise yet last weekend it was 90 and I was out cutting and splitting. Today it was upper 70s and I was out splitting. I figure if it doesn't finished now while its still early it won't be ready by winter.

Speaking of the weather, I was starting to over heat so I didn't get as much cut as I wanted to. I think I'll get up early tomorrow when cooler and finish before someone else finds it.

How big is your stash now?

Very nice wood Todd. You better get it while you can. :)

Todd, if you had Carls' trailer, it'd all have been home in one trip. :gulp: Rick

Sure wish I had some Oak to burn...

What's Oak? :smirk: Rick

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

Outside air kit. :lol:

Ahh, yeah, I think I could probably get some of those. I thought you were talking about some exotic wood species. Thanks, I'll go out & get me some Oaks! :p Rick

fossil said:

Yeah, too bad there's none out west. This stuff is like lead right now, but in a couple years it will be well worth the effort when I'm getting those 12 plus hr burn times. You Pine burners have it easy when it comes time to lug around those big rounds. ;-)

Todd said:
...You Pine burners have it easy when it comes time to lug around those big rounds. ;-)

Yeah, Todd...but we have to lug around so damn many of them! :shut: Nice haul, happy burning! Rick

Green pine rounds are heavy (must be 50% water), so I don't know how easy we have it.

Nice score Todd.

fossil said:
Todd, if you had Carls' trailer, it'd all have been home in one trip. :gulp: Rick

ROTF Rick. I can haul 2 full cords or a little more of dead wood. If it is green than probably just over a cord. I would have to see how the trailor sets since that is how I judge the weight I put on it. :)

Todd said:
fossil said:

Yeah, too bad there's none out west. This stuff is like lead right now, but in a couple years it will be well worth the effort when I'm getting those 12 plus hr burn times. You Pine burners have it easy when it comes time to lug around those big rounds. ;-)

Not feeling sorry for you anymore :coolgrin:

Nice work Todd! Oak is the best, I love the smell of it, kinda vinagery. That'll help you stay in shape.

Todd said:
fossil said:

I have got about 2.5 cords of pin oak seasoning right now ( I am in the Seattle area) scrounged it off craigslist a year and half ago, they were cut into 12 - 16" long rounds 16" to 24" in dia, heavy as hell, squated my mid sized truck real good. made a hell of a pop when I split them. I got a pic of them in my wood bin's in the perfect picture forum

also here is a guy on Seattle craigslist selling cords of oak for $400, pretty steep if you ask me. But it show that yes there is Oak out west. obviously not as abundant as back east though
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/for/718968712.html

Saw your pics, elder...very nice. "The West" covers a lot of ground (so to speak). Yes, there's Oak out here, but it really depends on just where in the west you are...lots of different climate zones. Coastal Washington is way different from Central Oregon, as I'm sure you know. If I could burn Oak, I surely would...but, sadly, I can't get it. Looks like some good burnin' for you, elder...enjoy! Rick

I just made the score of a life time today...Was able to sink my teeth into a high body tri-axle load of white oak log ends from a semi local cooperage delivered for $350! Will have some pics when it gets dropped off..Guess this stuff has the bark already taken off and all. Almost to good to be true

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
I just made the score of a life time today...Was able to sink my teeth into a high body tri-axle load of white oak log ends from a semi local cooperage delivered for $350! Will have some pics when it gets dropped off..Guess this stuff has the bark already taken off and all. Almost to good to be true

Well, Fireman...I guess you just turned the jealousy table around on me! ;-) Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.