another merrimack thermal switch question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micaaronfl

Dec 5, 2010
pennsylvania
still having problems getting the thermal switch to go under 2 hours. I installed 2 large washers by the thermal switch in an attempt to get better contact with the cast iron and the switch. I was finally able to get it to go on in 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Does anyone know how to override the switch so i can change it to manual? Just in case i completely give up on the thermal. What i would really like to do is have a manual on and the stove goes off after it gets cold. I assume its one way or the other though. i was thinking of just a timer set it to 3 am when it starts to get cold so it will shut off. I dont know if i want to go that route though as i paid alot for this friggin thing.

on a side note today was the first time i heard the auto setback clank and close, it closed after 1 hour of burning.

Not sure if that means anything.

Looking for advice, options etc....

anyone know how to do this? as i need to bypass the thermal switch, i know its a wiring technique and i do not need extra parts to do it just what do i need to do.

Your thermal switch is just a limit wired in series. Its not a safety so just remove it. It will have two terminals, probably with stake on connections. Remove them from the limit,(FAN UNPLUGGED) and cut off the connector's. Re-strip the wires and marrett them together.

Just remove the wires from the thermal disc, they will have two female ends, trace those wires back and unplug from the wiring harness,and rehook up to just the fan speed control.
Or the simple way unplug the wires from the thermal disc cut off the connectors and wire nut together.

Resiburner said:
Or the simple way unplug the wires from the thermal disc cut off the connectors and wire nut together.

Isnt that what I just said. Need to strip the wires is the only differance. :blank:

Status
Not open for further replies.