another mismeasured cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave7965

Jan 9, 2010
Rhode Island
So I've posted recently about getting shorted on several cord deliveries. I'll add to that now. I answered a craigslist ad from someone selling an unsplit pick up yourself cord. I emailed him asking if it was a measured cord and he said that it was and then some. I show up at his house at the designated time and he's not home. I brought a measuring tape and it was 50 cubic feet. I left and he called me later on asking if I wanted it and I told him it was less than half a cord to which he replied "oh really ? I saw a cord recently and it looked about that size". To all you new burners out there, my advice to you is ALWAYS VERIFY THE MEASUREMENT
We later agreed on a much lower price.

50 cubic feet would be about a FACE CORD, and then some. You're right, not a real cord at all.

I was up in Lake Placid over the summer for the Ironman. I went to get a hair cut at the local barber and we got to talking about wood stoves. I asked him how much he burns in a winter up this way and he says 12 cords!!!! I must of had a look of horror on my face when he corrected himself and said 12 face cords, about 3 full cords. I said Oh, that's a big difference. Then he explained that's how it's bought and sold up that way. Who knows?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.