another mouse problem...do I need to get out more?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
I don't get mice in my house, but instead they run up the outside walls and get in my tiny vented attic. It's impossible to seal - roughcut decking that's shrunk, open eaves (no fascia and soffit) and a steel roof with plenty of entry points. I leave 4 traps set all the time, and check them at least twice a week. Big pain in the neck especially during peaks in mouse population. I'm thinking of running a band of flashing at the rim joist level figuring that they won't be able to climb vertically past that point since they can't get past the flashing on the bird feeder post. Seems much less labor intensive than trying to seal every crack. I'll keep the traps set and hopefully reduce the frequency of trips up the ladder at each gable. I explain these brilliant schemes to my wife and she looks at me like I've lost my mind. Is it backwoods or backwards logic?

poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook said:
bet it worx. seen a tree wrapped such to keep a cat on a leash from climbing it & hanging itself which never happened

declawed and couldn't find a reason to live, or just real depressed? :lol:

They aren't getting food from the attic so you know that these critters are coming and going every day, well, until it gets really cold. You'll need to poison them outside. Bait stations.

Hi -

I bet the flashing thing could work.

For any areas that are to curved ot difficult to flash there is also "Squirrel Repelent" that comes in tubes. I got it from (TSC I think). It is a permenently sticky goo-in-a-tube. You put it where they need to crawl to get in and they will aviod it. Be very careful, I had to scrub nearly every faucet and door knob after my son accidentaly got in it!

In my out buildings I also like to use Tom Cat brand (from Walmart) I put it in and check it once a year or so. I occasionally find dead/dried up mice when running a new wire or something so it seems to work.

ATB,
Mike

Highbeam said:
They aren't getting food from the attic so you know that these critters are coming and going every day, well, until it gets really cold. You'll need to poison them outside. Bait stations.

you know, I'll get the darn rodents up there even in winter weather occasionally. The big problem is that they'll burrow and nest in the fiberglass and I'll hear them scratching around in there while I'm laying awake at night cursing myself for not decking with plywood. That's why I have to keep ahead by checking the traps frequently- once they establish a nest they're harder to trap. I live in the woods so unless I nuke the area it might be a tough go at trying to reduce their numbers. That's why I'm thinking along the lines of obstructing their access.

My house has mouse problems.
Someone who lived here before tried stainless flashing.

They push it aside and/or chew the wood to get by.

The mice lick your counters and recycled cans at 3 and 4 in the morning. They're not stupid.

everybody loves antifreeze!

A number of locations have passed laws that do/will require the addition of a "bitterant" to make the glycol distinctly bad-flavored; apparently the compound is the same or similar to what's used to 'denature' ethyl alcohol to make it un-drinkable. So, those who seek antifreeze for rodent control may want to grab some of the old stuff while you can-

"... Vermont will join the eight other states that have adopted similar legislation. They include Arizona, California, Maine, New Mexico, Oregon, Tennessee, Virginia and Washington..." :

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20090511/NEWS03/905119963/1004/NEWS03

used to be part of riunite wine in the 70"s.
found a bunch of mice in a winterized toilet bowl once & may have puked!

riunite on mice, that's nice!

Bait the mouse traps with melted chocolate. The mice have to chew on it (since its hard once it cools) and you'll catch em better than smearing stuff on the trigger they can lick off.

Great idea. So they must be attracted to the bait like PB? Maybe choc and then PB for a nice smell plus a vigorous chew.

Plus, melting chocolate means that there will be a spoon to lick.

Another option for the bait pedal is to cut a small strip of fabric, preferably cotton since it's more absorbent, and thread that through the hole in the bait pedal. Then smear the fabric with peanut butter or other attractive bait (I've heard some mice like the sauces from chinese food...) and rub it in well, but leave a good layer on the outside. The mouse will grab the fabric and tug on it in an effort to carry it away and / or get every last bit... This also scales well for use in larger traps for squirrels, garden varmints, etc...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.