Another moving hot air question- thermostat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
I have a Rengency F2400 in our basement and I would like to more effectively move the heat upstairs. I have installed two, floor vents, one close to the stove to move heat up and one far from the stove to move cold air down. What I would like to do, is install a ductwork style fan on the cold air return vent so as to pull cold air down, thereby pushing the warm air up. I would like to wire this fan to a thermostat so that once the basment reaches a certain temp, the fan kicks in automatically.

How can I go about doing this? Do I need a particular thermstat or will any old thermostat work? How do I wire it?

Thanks

Pellet guys do it I think. My guess is you would use a regular thermastat and a relay? I am sure someone who has done it will chime in, otherwise try the electronics message boards, they can probaly help. Being that heat rises my guess is this may be one of the few times you want to blow the heat up, not really sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.