Another new visitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
When I was a young lad we had lots of these redheads but they disappeared. Now it appears we have a pair and they have some young.

RedheadCanary.gif

RedheadGrosbeak.gif

Awesome Dennis!! I so rarely see red-headed and I am ALWAYS looking. Such a gorgeous bird. I just saw one a couple of weeks ago at my brother's house in FL. Was elusive and I had to follow the sound. People tell me all the time that they have seen one, but of course it's a red-bellied.
Love that you have both the red-headed and the grosbeak in the shot.

+1, that is a great shot. We have downys and pileated woodpeckers and sapsuckers. I've never seen a red-head. It's a beautiful bird.

We never had pileated until last year. The closest to us I ever knew about was about 75-100 miles from us but they have moved in and others have told me they too have been seeing them.

The nest for the redheaded woodpeckers is only about 30 feet from the house!

You are right Kathleen about the Grosbeak in the same picture. This year there seems to be an overabundance of the grosbeaks. Not only are they a beautiful bird but their song is beautiful too.

Very cool pics Dennis.

Cool pic. I have seen some around here, but not often. Never saw them at our feeder.
I won't see anymore birds at our feeder for awhile now though as a bear took care of that last week. Must be a big one as I know the feeder was up at least 7 1/2 ft from the ground....almost out of bird feed anyways.

Too cool. First red-headed I have ever seen.

Very cool shots! Cool woodpecker. We mainly have downies & hairys around here as far as woodpeckers go. I'd put a feeder out for them except it'd attract all the bears around here... last thing I need is a 500+ lb. Griz hanging around right outside my door...

I stumbled across this thread. For the first time in my life, and I'm 51, we have a red headed woodpecker in our woods, my dad and I are fascinated to see him as they have never nested in the area that we know of.....Adams County, PA.

What a beautiful bird it is, and in flight it is awesome!

I hear you. I am a bit above your age and we had never seen a pileated woodpecker anywhere in this area. The closes one was maybe 100 miles from us or even more. I had seen some about 325 miles from us one time and then later had seen some about 125 miles NW of us. Then about 1 1/2 years ago my wife claimed to have seen one on our property. Awesome! I finally did see one too and we saw one again this past winter. Last summer I was on a bike ride and stopped to rest a bit. It was all wooded in that area and I sat there about 15 minutes watching a pileated flying back and forth from one tree to another. Awesome. Now I hope they stay.

We have not seen the redheaded since shortly after those pictures were taken.

The only pileated I ever saw was in Catoctin Mountains of Northern MD, near Cunningham Falls, in the bottom land, in dense evergreen forest along a mountain stream. They are quite awesome for sure.

My dad's 82 and has become an avid bird watcher. I told him a few weeks back I spotted a Baltimore Oriole....3 days later he came to me all excited and said hey, guess what I saw today....yep, an oriole.

Lovin' the birds in PA

So far have fledged 4 eastern bluebirds, have 4 more eggs in one box, and 3 in another. Also have some tree swallows, they like boxes too....and of course all sorts of other birds too.

Counted 6 bats the other night too, dive bombin skeeters :)

I've only seen a redheaded woodpecker at the feeder here once or twice.

We have pileateds ( huge and make a racket when they are around) but the woodpeckers only visit the suet cakes.
Almost never see them in a regular feeder.

Bill, we put up venison every fall and keep all the fat. That is put in onion sacks and hung out for the woodpeckers. They love it and will chew on it all winter long. During summer they will eat sunflower seeds or the mixed birdseed but best of all is cracked corn. They love that stuff but with corn up around $8 per bushel we won't be buying much. I do have some growing though and we'll make good use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.