Another newbie here, with some questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valtar

Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2009
Mexico
Hello Guys,

This is my first post, I've been lurking around for some months though. I have a 3100 sf. house made of brick and mortar, it is insulated on the outside of the walls with 1" polyisocyanurate panels, the windows are double pane low-e aluminum ones, the roof is made of concrete with EPS panels embedded to alleviate the weight, it is not insulated (working on it). NG is very expensive here and therefore my house is not warm during the winter, the house has two NG furnaces (one for each floor). After doing some research and watching this forum daily I found that Lowes had the wood stoves on clearence and was able to get a Summers Heat 50-SNC13 for $400.
To install it I need aprox 15 ft of stove pipe inside the house, the manual of the stove says not the exceed 10 ft with single wall flue pipe, double wall pipe is ver expensive and I will try not to go this route (I know on the outside I have to use type A pipe). What could happen if I use single wall stove pipe? The type they sell at Lowes for ~9.00 each piece. Will I have condensation inside the flue? I live south of the border with El Paso Tx, a very dry climate.

Thanks for your input...Valentin

Welcome to the forums! I really don't think you'll have a problem running single-wall up to the support box/transition to Class A. Rick

Welcome Valentin,

The exhaust gases need to stay hot to create a good draft. A long run of single wall will allow the gases to cool and slow the draft.

I know the double-wall pipe is more expensive, but in the long run, it may help the stove to perform better. The two issues you 'may' see with single wall pipe are creosote build up and lazy draft. The wood gases are going to get cooled by the long run of single wall pipe. If you go with single wall and the temperature outside is mild, the stove may spill smoke until the flue is warm and good draft is started. If you are at a high altitude, and burning only pine, be sure it is seasoned.

Hi,

Elevation is 3670 ft. and total flue lenght aprox 22 ft. Will be burning encino (a sort of oak), pine and dimenional lumber (pallets), planning to have them seasoned for next winter.

I'm planning to get the most out of my stove, I think the single wall pipe will radiate more heat, but not having enough draft will be a problem, it will certinly take me a while to understand the proper operation of this stove for I have never burn wood for heating purposes.

I really appreciate the time you spend answering my questions, this is a great forum.

Valentin

The trade off between radiated heat from the single wall and possible draft decrease from the heat loss, which will cause the stove to burn less effectively, is difficult to assess. At some point, you will lose total system heat output by trying to gain it from the single wall pipe (likely why the manufacturer gives the 10 foot number). I would bias my install towards having the flue keep heat in, which will increase system performance. That will let the stove do a better job of heating, and likely let you control the burn more effectively.

To get the most out of the stove in the long term, go for an ideal set up where possible, even if it is more money. You will make the money back in wood saved and heat gained, as well as less headaches.

I have had to deal with a less than ideal set up all winter, and wish I had spent the extra. I have to be careful to avoid spillage and to get fires going, and would have less grief if my flue was done IAW the manufacturers recommendations.

I've got about 15' of single-wall from my Lopi Liberty up to the cathedral ceiling support box. Performs like a champ. Rick

Thomas said:
This is my first post. where can I buy an outdoor fire pit?

Keep spamming and it'll be the last post as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.