Another NEWBIE mistake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbk12rs

Dec 29, 2009
Smithfield , RI
I didn't PLAN for enough wood for this season ...........

So , I called the chap I've been getting our wood from and asked for another cord .
What shows up is a damn pile of SNOW with some wood mixed in !!!!

I'm so bummed , that pile of snow is sitting in the middle of my driveway .

I've started to sift through it to look for something that will burn ........... but it doesn't look like there's much right now .

I can hope for some warm weather , but Here in New England , it may be here in June !!!!

Looks like the Gas boiler is going on .......... Damn !

Any saw mills around you?

Gas is cheap. Beats trying to burn wet wood.

sbk12rs said:
smokinjay said:
Any saw mills around you?

Saw Mills ? Why ?

They will sell there scraps "cheep" they burn really hot and should be awesome in a boiler.

smokinjay said:
They will sell there scraps "cheep" they burn really hot and should be awesome in a boiler.
I don't think he should burn wood in his gas boiler.

LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
I don't think he should burn wood in his gas boiler.

lol Still work in a stove as well....You must get a good deal on natrual gas...

We do get pallets from vendors that have hardwood rails on them ......... so I may be able to have a few " romantic " nights burning .....

How are those wood bricks ?

Welcome to the club. Typical rookie mistake and believe it or not, many old time burners still do the same thing. So, get next years wood on hand as soon as you possibly can and don't wait for next year. Get ahead of the game now!

smokinjay said:
...You must get a good deal on natrual gas...
About $2/day includes cooking and DHW. I spend that much on coffee.

LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
...You must get a good deal on natrual gas...
About $2/day includes cooking and DHW. I spend that much on coffee.

Cant argue that. Mine would be 15.00-20.00 a day. Thats not heating the hot water.

MAN, this just happened to us. We have a pile of frozen wet wood. This stuff is so heavy because of it's high moisture content and it's frozen.. It's worthless. It's a heartbreak not to have the stove roaring. I have have just decided to stop trying to get a flame going. It's agony. I just don't understand why the seller doesn't say "hey, this stuff as been just cut and been sitting outside in a pile uncovered." Then I can make an informed decision. This was our first year, started Dec 1, have been 24/7 till now. sniff sniff, over and out.

smokinjay said:
Thats not heating the hot water.
Of course not. If it's hot water it doesn't need to be heated. %-P

LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
Thats not heating the hot water.
Of course not. If it's hot water it doesn't need to be heated. %-P

lol Your right my hot water come from the furnace to the electric hot water heater at 140 degrees....Are gas is cheep but they charge you an arm to deliver it. More you use the more the delivery rate goes up. 2000 sqft good built home ave 350.00 month

Have some faith in that wood.Burn a load to see if it's good.Just because it has snow on it doesn't mean it's not seasoned.Some surface moisture will not hurt the fire.

Have some faith in that wood.Burn a load to see if it’s good.Just because it has snow on it doesn’t mean it’s not seasoned.Some surface moisture will not hurt the fire.

I have tried and tried.. it barely burns and if I can get it hot enough after at least an hour to 2 hours of nursing... it just blackens... it SUCKS. It's just creating creosote. I am not sure what else can be done. I really don't think this stuff has been covered at all where I purchased it from.

Covering is way less important than time.There are people here that never cover there wood.

But yes,if it will not burn definitely not seasoned.

if it will not burn defanetly not seasond.
that means six months or less? not burnable???

Depends on the type of wood.Oak 2yrs.Ash could be 6 months.

I have oak and ash and locust ... is ash the darker of the 2?

Ash can have dark center on older growth.Haven't burnt any locusts.All I have locally is honey locust and it hurts to look at.

vixster said:

Oak, ash and locust . . . darker of the two? Wouldn't that be darker of the three? ;) White ash is pretty light colored . . . can't speak to how it compares to locust or white oak though.

firefighterjake said:
vixster said:

Oak, ash and locust . . . darker of the two? Wouldn't that be darker of the three? ;) White ash is pretty light colored . . . can't speak to how it compares to locust or white oak though.

Ash is the whitest of the 3 locust has a yellow tint and the oak will be darker than the ash.

vixster said:

Perhaps these 2 pictures will help. In the first picture it is almost all white ash but on the left end there is some elm. On the second picture it is all white ash.

Wood-4-1.jpg

DennisCook4-4-09b.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. It must be nice to have that pile! I wish there were decent closeups of splits (side and front) of ash,locust,oak.. I find it difficult to see the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.