Another No-Go for many of us in the Northeast!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the folks that asked about my tractor.........

Its a Kubota B3030
30 HP
The rears are loaded with Rim Guard (non corrosive)
It is four wheel drive, but it does pretty well in rear wheel drive on level ground if you so desire.
I use the turfs year round and do not use, nor need chains. This is my second Kubota with a front blower running turfs and have never had a problem getting around (though i stay off of the lawn).
I attempted to use my rear weight box, but all it did was keep me from being able to steer with the blower in 'float'.
This thing has exceeded my expectations and make big storms a joy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFXl15CO6aY

im hearing a foot or more for me again i just got all the old snow out of the way. im ready i guess i better bring in tons of wood again.

weatherguy said:
@$#@%#@%@%@%^%#^%^ all you guys!!!!!!!
just a dusting here and rain later this week .... talk about bad luck! temps should be close to 40 or in the 40s for the next couple of weeks! winter in over for me ... time to burn like the shoulder season!!!! and clean up my back yard!

Looks like things changed for your area, Im getting heavy snow and its supposed to go all night, looks like we miss the big blizzard thurs-fri though. Talk about being in a bad spot for a snow lover this year, snow to the north, west and south.

are you kidding me??? maybe we have 2 inches!!! i think it changed for you guys! being in the higher elevation you should be around 8-10 inches???
all we are getting the rest of the week is rain now, they will be posting flood watches by tomorrow evening.... another bummer

As much as I hate rain in the winter, I would rather have it than what we are getting. Blowing saturated slush sucks.

are you kidding me??? maybe we have 2 inches!!! i think it changed for you guys! being in the higher elevation you should be around 8-10 inches???
all we are getting the rest of the week is rain now, they will be posting flood watches by tomorrow evening…. another bummer

I forget you guys are in the valley, I used to work in Agawam and they always seem to be on the low end for snow storms, we did end up with 6-10 in around here but now rain, and more rain to come, sucky winter here.

Just came in from blowing snow and raking roof - must be over a foot of snow by now - looks like close to 14", but haven't measured. Real heavy! Had to tighten the snow thrower drive belt on the tractor (lawn tractor - not lucky enough to own a version like that seen above!) - just wanted to slip when I hit the deep heavy stuff. Worked fine after that, just had to go.......real........slow.......
My wife and I were just commenting that this is our first decent snowfall of the year in our neck of the woods in southern NH. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Just came in from blowing snow and raking roof - must be over a foot of snow by now - looks like close to 14", but haven't measured. Real heavy! Had to tighten the snow thrower drive belt on the tractor (lawn tractor - not lucky enough to own a version like that seen above!) - just wanted to slip when I hit the deep heavy stuff. Worked fine after that, just had to go.......real........slow.......
My wife and I were just commenting that this is our first decent snowfall of the year in our neck of the woods in southern NH. Cheers!

Where in Southern NH are you? here in concord there was about 2 inches of snow and its been raining all day. Very depressing winter for a snowlover.

D*(&^^ snow plows woke me up at 4am but we only got an inch of slush. Why they bothered to plow I have no idea.
Its been all rain ever since.

Matter of fact I haven't burned my stove in over 2 weeks :( Its been over 40 every day and I'm almost out of dry wood. Nat gas is too cheap to bother in this mild weather.

ColdNH said:
NH_Wood said:

Where in Southern NH are you? here in concord there was about 2 inches of snow and its been raining all day. Very depressing winter for a snowlover.

ColdNH - I'm in Rindge - to the southwest of Concord on the MA line - still snowing periodically here, but a rain mix for the past few hours - things turning REAL slushy and sloppy. Just came back in after shearing a pin on the thrower - CAN'T get a new pin into the shear pin hole - tried drilling in case there was some junk, but no luck - really hoping to avoid the shovel! Interesting you didn't get much near Concord - was working in Lyman (Grafton Co.) yesterday in the late afternoon, and thought I was going to have a BAD drive home, but no snow till about 15 miles from home - then we got dumped on!!! This stuff is HEAVY! Cheers!

We're getting it pretty good here in the Northern Champlain Valley (Burlington area). When i left for work this morning there was around 6-8 inches of heavy wet snow in my driveway and we had lost electricity (thank jeebus we have the wood stove!). It has been snowing pretty steady all day. My brother is on a ski vacation at Jay Peak and he sent me this picture this morning around 10:00a:

Attachments

• jay_snow.jpg
    jay_snow.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 238
Ohh man.. had to include a pic from Jay Peak... UGH!! That place gets dumped on when no one else has snow. I bet the wind is blowing pretty good up there, hope they are still able to keep the tram going. That place cracks me up because half the people in the tram speak french and are loud as all get out, never fails.

Speaking of snow, now they are calling for 4-6" for us. I am never going to get my wood prepared for next year!

mellow said:
Ohh man.. had to include a pic from Jay Peak... UGH!! That place gets dumped on when no one else has snow. I bet the wind is blowing pretty good up there, hope they are still able to keep the tram going. That place cracks me up because half the people in the tram speak french and are loud as all get out, never fails.
The infamous "Jay Cloud". Best place in VT to ride or ski (but i still like Stowe too).
Yeah, the Frenchies can get a little rambunctious... But the snow conditions at Jay will make you put up with it. They can party pretty hard too!
That picture was snow just from last night! My brother picked a great time to come up from Boston! Wish i wasn't at work...

weatherguy said:
all we are getting the rest of the week is rain now, they will be posting flood watches by tomorrow evening…. another bummer

I forget you guys are in the valley, I used to work in Agawam and they always seem to be on the low end for snow storms, we did end up with 6-10 in around here but now rain, and more rain to come, sucky winter here.

you know I HATE RAIN in winter i would rather 4ft of snow than snow, rain, sleet... to much rain and the water has no where to go so everything gets flooded water will not drain from the yard properly due to snow/rain combo gotta watch every low spot around the house... will throw a pump in the window well from the basement window tomorrow night just in case!
this winter sucks for me... and its not even march.. the way the weather is you would swear this was late march and not feb!! oh well this is gonna make for a long hot dry summer!!!

Powder day at Whiteface today. Snow on the upper half of the mountain was actually pretty light, knee deep in spots. Came home around 2pm to plow, I'm down in the Ausable Valley, 10 to 12 inches of very wet heavy snow, it's just below freezing here at 4:45pm. Put the Yamaha Grizzly in 4wd differntial lock on, moved it pretty well

All rain, all day. And probably for the rest of the week. Pretty dreary.

Heavy catbox use, the dog didn't even want to go outside and he's usually up for anything.

Stoves are keeping everyone cozy.

%@##@^#^@#^@#^@$%#$&@@^$&^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
all rain coming maybe a little light snow friday when its all over, from now until then 2-4 inches of rain! this is gonna be a nasty one.. cant even run the stove full time, when temps stay above 15 at night and 20-30s in the day only need to load it twice with not so full loads!

Guessing about 16 to 18 inches at my house since Tues, night. Real wet heavy stuff.

Whiteface Mt. is reporting 29 inches since Tues, not sure exactly where they take that measurement,
but guessing it's either at the mid-mountain lodge or the top of Little Whiteface, probably 2500 ft. above
my location.

Winds were really starting to pick up when I took my last run at 1:30pm today. supposed to be gusting to 45mph by
tonight.

It has been 10 years since I have been to Whiteface, but I remember that one lift that goes to the top that runs along the side that you could see the glades runs to your right, one day going up the wind was whipping and that thing was swaying back and forth so much I thought I was going to fall off, and if I did I would have been dead or serious hurt as high as that lift is. That was one of the scariest lift rides in my life. When I got to the top though it was worth it, waist deep powder the whole way down. Actually got stuck at one point because I couldn't keep my speed up.

This time it is for real in the NY metro area.
DSC06035.jpg

NYS Thruway near Tarrytown.
DSC06055.jpg

Upper West Side, NYC.

still waiting for snow....... i give up..... might as well bring summer in this is toooo depressing!

Status
Not open for further replies.