Another OAK question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgrz0610

Burning Hunk
Dec 13, 2011
Eastern CT, Andover
Not to debate the merits or lack thereof of installing an OAK. I'm doing it. The draft in here is more noticeable with the turbo blower or maybe all of a sudden the draft is worse for no reason. Regardless, I need an OAK.

I have an interior chimney with an insert. Need to go up and out. Researched for about an hour and only found Accentra guys talking about the Harman specialty cap to allow for this. No pics. How do I send OAK up the chimney without pulling exhaust down OAK? Does terminating halfway up chimney resolve this? I don't think it does but I could be wrong. ANY help is appreciated but pictures would work wonders for my simple mind. Thanks in advance as always.

I plan to do this next week if the weather cooperates! I will post some pics of the parts in the next day or 2. I want to make sure I have everything before I start anyway.

I have a full liner in the chimney so my exhaust terminates at the chimney cap. My cap is currently sealed tight to the top of the chimney. I will take that off and put the Harman piece on. The Harman piece is a louvered spacer that raises the cap about 4 inches. That allows outside air into the chimney interior. The stove exhaust is inside the liner, the fresh air (oak air) surrounds it. My OAK pipe will run from the stove past the block off plate and into the chimney a few feet. So it will pull air from the chimney cavity while the exhaust runs right by (in the liner).
Hopefully this makes sense :) I'm about to go to bed so I cannot guarantee the quality of this post :)

Reactions: jgrz0610
I too have a full liner terminating 8 inches above the chimney cap (would take a pic but there is still 8 inches of snow on the roof). I guess the idea is that an oak terminating inside of the chimney cavity will not pull the exhaust air down out of the exhaust pipe even though it's pulling fresh air from the cap? I guessed that was correct but pics would be awesome so I can get an idea. I don't have a Harman but if your exhaust is 4" I see no reason why I coudn't put a Harman part on my Enviro stove. Maybe then I could have the best of both worlds! A Harmviro setup would be clutch. Let me know how it goes. I want to get this done soon because this draft is killing me.

Thanks for the response.

I bought a new chimney cap because mine is getting older and I wanted the nice clamp collar. I want things to go quickly while I'm standing on my roof in the winter :). The Harman part is just the spacer.
Hope the pics help! image.jpg image.jpg

Both venting and OAK side by each to the top of the chimney. Both through the chimney plate on top. Vent goes up another 4 to 6 inches with cap and the OAK (flex pipe) bends downward away from venting about 2 feet. That's almost 3' away from each other when the manual for my quad calls for 12". That's how mine is.

Attachments

• OAK.jpg
    OAK.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 129
ctpaul, want to come do mine too? similar set up!!!

I bought a new chimney cap because mine is getting older and I wanted the nice clamp collar. I want things to go quickly while I'm standing on my roof in the winter :). The Harman part is just the spacer.
Hope the pics help!View attachment 88252 View attachment 88253

How far is it from the vent holes to the top of the cap? Aren't you concerned about sucking the exhaust through the OAK vent holes? See my pic above for min specs on my stove. I would think they would be close to the same.

Edit: I just looked at your manual and it looks like the flex pipe extends a distance above the OAK spacer so by looks it should be no worries.

Wow I'm going to busy! I will refer my wife to you guys if I fall behind on the honey-do list :)

Status
Not open for further replies.