Another OAK question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawsalesman

Feb 20, 2008
Ashland, NH
How do you guys feel about pulling cold air from my basement with the OAK instead of getting the cold air from outside. The basement is now cold due to the boiler not running except for a couple times a day for hot water. Just thought this would work as well as bringing in the cold air from the outside.

Seems like it would defeat the purpose of the OAK. You would be getting the air from a different room, but that room would still need to get the air replaced by some means, either pulling it in from a leaking door, window etc. in the basement or by pulling some of the warm air from upstairs.

I see what you mean. I've been reading alot about the OAK's and haven't decided if I should install one yet. I actually have a Quad Mount Vernon (non AE model) and an Enviro Mini. Neither of them have OAK's on them and I was thinking that it may be worth while. The Enviro Mini is located over a vented crawl space but the Quad is not.

I am the same way with my stove...no OAK yet. I can't make up my mind so I am going to keep reading all the pros and cons that get listed. So far my stove seams to be quite fine without it. I think I might find some inexpensive tubing to just temporarily run it to a window and just test the results before installing a more permanent solution.

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea. Maybe I will try that as well. I've got to go to Lowe's tonight since my dishwasher crapped out. I'll see what they have that I can use temporarily as a test.

if anybody has a lead on 2" tubing, let me know! i tried home depot, other local hardware stores, auto parts store, no luck. i want to try mine out a window too, but i need 6 feet of tubing. i found a guy online who wants $63 for it, though.

Sawsalesman said:
How do you guys feel about pulling cold air from my basement with the OAK instead of getting the cold air from outside. The basement is now cold due to the boiler not running except for a couple times a day for hot water. Just thought this would work as well as bringing in the cold air from the outside.

I've been running my insert using the cleanout to the basement and the basement is no different temperature down there now, then when I didn't use the cleanout for the intake of the stove. SO, it would seem that my basement isn't pulling any more air from the outside than it was before, otherwise my basement would be colder from more outside air coming in. I don't know about your basement, but mine has crappy windows and a bulkhead besides. My cellar was always far from being airtight. Yet, it always stays about 55 degrees all winter. Give or take a couple of degrees. I also put a piece of aluminum flashing ,over the cleanout door in the fireplace, so the air intake would be strictly from the cellar. I'd say try it. It's only $5 for piping from your air intake to the cleanout door.

I thought about using the cleanout door myself into a cold basement. I know these things probably pull anywhere from 50-80cfm (just a guess) and wanted to cut down on the draft in front of the stove. I know the convection blower also causes a draft by pulling the cold air to heat it, but I thought an OAK would help with that.

Relxn88, where did you get a 2" to 3" hose to adapt the cold air pipe? HD and Lowes do not carry 2".

Thanks,
Craig

Barrett said:
if anybody has a lead on 2" tubing, let me know! i tried home depot, other local hardware stores, auto parts store, no luck. i want to try mine out a window too, but i need 6 feet of tubing. i found a guy online who wants $63 for it, though.
Muffler shop. That's where I got mine (mentioned in a different OAK thread).

Barrett said:
so is it actually ok to use 3" for the oak? i'm no engineer, so i have no idea. but it would make life much easier for me.
It`s almost always better to go larger as there will be less resistance especially if it`s corrugated tubing of any type.

Status
Not open for further replies.