Another OAK Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paco

Hearth Supporter
Oct 13, 2010
Colorado
So as part of my hearth remodel, I think I'm going to put in an OAK for my Fireview.

I can easily go to outside wall, or fairly easily down to crawl space. So my question is whether one or the other is preferable, performance wise? All things being equal, I'd rather go through the wall, as my slate hearth floor is already constructed and I'm assuming that masonry hole saws aren't cheap.

Any thoughts?

Paco, do you have any pics cause you know, if you have no pics around here it never happened!
I don't know if there is a right answer, but I have heard that if you put an oak on the outside of the house and you get some wind on that side of the house it can have negative affects. I would think going into a crawl space may take care of that problem. However, it may cause negative pressure if the crawl space isn't properly vented or vented at all. This would defeat one of the major purposes of an OAK.

Good luck and keep us posted. Don't forget some pics, I love those Woodstocks.

The ouside wall is on the lee side, and fenced in, so wind isn't really an issue. Crawlspace is vented.

Floor is uninsulated- so maybe that's a reason not to go to the crawlspace- so as not to draw in colder outside air.

Sounds like having the vent above the stove negatively affects airflow. What about level with the stove, versus below?

I would run it outside if that is easiest. I don't know that it will hurt a crawl space. Mine is outside right behind the stove. I have put my hand in front of mine with a fire going and they do pull some air through.

I would go straight out the back wall. The OAK box for the Fireview is designed with the 4" hole about 4" lower than where the air goes into the stove.

When we had an OAK we went straight out from the stove. I think most go this way. We've thought we may have to go with an OAK this winter after some remodel but are going to wait and see how the stove does. If need be, we'll try going straight out or close to it.

got to chime in on this one..........
Went from a basement install where the stove would often back up when liting, filling the basement
full of smoke. Found that when this began it would usually stop by opening windows and doors.
What a pain !
Now my current stove has an OAK and is not affected by differences between inside & outside pressures.
Opening the windows equalized the pressures and allowed the heated air within the stove to rise up the
chimney as designed. I believe that a system using outside intake air & exhaust is a much better balanced
system. Pressure being equal on both ends of the burn and firmly believe in this as this does not occur with
my current system. One last point is that the stove will not be pulling in o/s air from drafty walls cooling
your home further.
Good Luck with your decision
rn

So I'm almost ready to drill a hole in the wall (decided to go to outside wall, rather than crawl space) but now I have another question. My intake is going to be fairly close to my natural gas meter. I can see how that might be a concern. Anyone know if there are any issues there?

Thanks.

Paco said:
So I'm almost ready to drill a hole in the wall (decided to go to outside wall, rather than crawl space) but now I have another question. My intake is going to be fairly close to my natural gas meter. I can see how that might be a concern. Anyone know if there are any issues there?

Thanks.
Paco, "fairly close" exactly how close. I am off work due to an injury, so I don't have my code books handy to verify, but if memory serves me correctly it must be at least 3 feet. Personally, I wouldn't want it that close.

I'll measure tomorrow, but I'd guess 2, maybe 2 1/2 feet.

It's a corner, so I could go to the other wall, but that'd put me on the windy side of the house.

Hmmm...

Okay. It looks like I can move it over a bit from where I had it planned. I can get the air intake about 5 feet from the regulator valve. The electrical outlet that I need to move outside will be about 4 feet from the regulator. My late night online research confirms the 3 foot required clearance for both.

I guess in an ideal world I'd like neither to be anywhere near the gas, but I need to work with what I have.

Paco said:
Okay. It looks like I can move it over a bit from where I had it planned. I can get the air intake about 5 feet from the regulator valve. The electrical outlet that I need to move outside will be about 4 feet from the regulator. My late night online research confirms the 3 foot required clearance for both.

I guess in an ideal world I'd like neither to be anywhere near the gas, but I need to work with what I have.
That should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.