Another Old Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old and In the Way

Aug 28, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
Inside fireback is cast with "1975". OEM plate on the back reads "Safety Tested September 25, 1980. Plate is also stamped with the Serial Number 025332.

Any idea what specific model Defiant this is?

Thanks,

welcome to the forum. you have a defiant 1a i believe. defiant 1 had a one piece fireback i think yours has a 2 piece. nice stove. heating monsta. i run a 1. are you going to run it or rebuild it or both.

frank

Mine is a 1975, built in 1980. Parents bought new. Dad said it had the one piece fire back that was replaced under warranty with the 2 piece on the second season. So, the 1975 was built with the one piece, at least in it's first 5 years.

While I dream of an Olso, or a fireview, I really do like the defiant. It helps that it is the only stove I have had the pleasure of burning in the last 35 years.

Fun fact, mine came with the original manual, which had a $1 price tag stamped on it. Yep, back then you had to pay an extra dollar to have the manual to go with your $900 (1980 money) new stove. But at least when you bought nice tools they had cases back then.

LOL how true about the tools. been burning mine for 13 years. great stove.

must have been a good year for vermont castings

Status
Not open for further replies.