another one down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
59434_138285252883307_108145139230652_206313_6008711_n.jpg

58781_138285282883304_108145139230652_206315_6046138_n.jpg

58781_138285279549971_108145139230652_206314_328288_n.jpg

Now Thats a Fire!!!!! Are you close to the water it looks like a light house from here. Hope your chimney is ok!

Billy

Is that one or two Super Cedars?

I really enjoy the pics of when you fire that monster up. Thanks AP! Rick

Jeez, "smahten up"! it means the Mongol horde is about to descend and destroy us utterly. :)

What were you firin' up inside that work shop, Adios.?

Are they going to be a creepy as your avatar? (only kidding)

The metal roof makes very good sense. Is cooling the kiln down gradually an important part of the firing/curing process?

My avatar was one of those pots. I was sort of going for creepy. Cooling down to about 1700 F is important, as it effects crystal sizes and the texture of some glazes (some want it slow, some fast). Cooling through about 1050 F slowly is important because the quartz undergoes a crystal structure change- too fast and pots crack.

Blimp- maybe. I have passive dampers at the back- chimney flow may be diverted by pulling out a brick to leave an open hole. Fresh air is introduced with any hot unburned gases, which creates an afterburner type dealio that cleans out the smoke. It's a secondary combustion system.

LOL- that's Shamus - when they're not playing they're sleeping.

I misread a post above- I used to have a creepy vase as my avatar... Firing makes for a long weekend- I'm still recovering (my hands hurt for days)

timfromohio said:
Got any of those wicked cool looking mugs in that firing?

I'm still sniffing at a garlic keeper.

I have about 100 mugs in this firing. about 1/2 the money I make at shows is mugs. I like making them, but the volume required means that I tell myself "OK- make 20 mugs, then you have dessert". Dessert is a big textured vase or something sculptural.

Adios Pantalones said:
Dessert is a big textured vase or something sculptural.

Or a super special one of a kind garlic keeper for Jags?? :lol:

I definitely think that vase you used as your avatar was borderline creepy. Very cool, but definitely creepy. If I were you I'd consider coming up a hanging version and planting it with Poison Ivy.

Thanks for explanation of the cooling process and how it can affect glazes. When I was in Jr. High we did some pottery using a wheel. I liked the idea of it, but the feel of the clay on my hands bothered me... too drying (preferred papier mache).

I'm a sucker for a nice mug. I have a small collection in a cabinet and every Saturday morning pick one out for my coffee - best coffee of the week. Coffee tastes better out of a nice, handmade mug. I have to confess I'm also cheap and gravitate towards the mugs ...

Mugs are accessible price-wise, but they are also the most personal thing people buy. The amount of time people spend with them makes them different, so when a "mug person" buys one I feel pretty lucky.

What's the deal with the roof setup where the chimney comes through? Is that to cool the chimney or the shop?

The shed is actually open-sided. I was worried about the chimney heat combusting the beams there. The chimney has insulation around it and the beams have flashing for a heat shield. The open roof allows airflow to further prevent heating of the rafters.

Status
Not open for further replies.