Another one from my library of splitting videos:

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
This wasn't part of the national splitter competition, it was just for fun!

Quads - that's some nice looking wood - how long had it been down for? Red oak? That Fiskar's is really kickin' arse for ya! Cheers!

That tree just fell two days ago. But it had been dead for at least ten years. It's Black/Red Oak.

wsorg said:
Nice technique!
Thank you! Splitting with that old maul is one of my favorite things in life! I can still do it all day long, if the rest of the world doesn't interrupt me.

qauds, your trails much be pretty smooth. If I loaded my trailer like that it would tip over for sure! Over the years I have filled in a lot of low places and uneven spots but it still is a bit rough in spots.

..what did I miss here. I don't see any video link?!

I thought you were supposed to grunt or yell HiYa everytime the axe was swung? Maybe thats why I can't hit the same spot twice!

Billy

Backwoods Savage said:
qauds, your trails much be pretty smooth. If I loaded my trailer like that it would tip over for sure! Over the years I have filled in a lot of low places and uneven spots but it still is a bit rough in spots.
I only had about 500 feet to go with that load. But yes, the trails are really smooth. My good neighbor keeps most of them leveled with a disc and even seeds clover etc. on them for the deer. Although, our land is really flat and smooth anyway. This area is a dried up glacial lake bed.

heatit said:
..what did I miss here. I don't see any video link?!
Sometimes I have that trouble too (I thought it was just my slow connection) . I just reload the page and it usually shows up.

Nice technique, Quads! Only met one other guy who could split with that kind of accuracy, and he was a competition splitter as well. His name is Geoff Burke. He actually helped design the Gransfors American Felling Axe (he is credited in their brochure), so he is a serious dude when it comes to the lumberjack sports.

That's what gets me - my aim is terrible!

Jags said:
I can do that (if I could ever hit the same place twice :sick: )

Whack 'em a good one for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.