Another people want to give me wood with pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mo381

Aug 3, 2011
North Central Indiana
Well after 7 truck and trailer loads full of Mulberry and Cherry, I thought I was back to working at my own pace. Gave the neighbor a couple of trailer loads for helping. Now he returns the faver with a load of dead elm that is pretty dry and bark falling off.
No more that get that piled up and a treee service is dropping off 2 truck loads of ash and then later I notice a couple more truck pickup loads of cherry at the end of the pile they must have dropped off.
No way I am complaining but I have to make more room and buy some more landscape timbers to stack on. To free up some space I moved the dry soft maple up to the racks by the house for next falls shoulder season and started splitting.
I think we are done burning for the year as the weather is warming up nicely.
This was our first year and I am pleased with the low gas bills so I will get this drying and make room for more. I think at this point I am close to 2 years ahead, so I am looking forward to next year burning only wood that I have been in control of and I know how long it has been c/s/s.
Thanks for all the helpful info this forum provides.

Attachments

• 2012-03-11_10-18-02_793.jpg
    2012-03-11_10-18-02_793.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 768
  • 2012-03-11_10-18-13_191.jpg
    2012-03-11_10-18-13_191.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 753
You guys are killing me - Am I the only one that doesn't have cordwood raining from the heavens? :eek:
Seriously, though, congratulations on a great looking stack!!

Evaluator guy said:
That is one nice WALL OF WOOD of (WOW!)

awesome, chuck
I don't see the top end of that stack; It could go on for miles! :gulp:

Woody Stover said:
Evaluator guy said:
That is one nice WALL OF WOOD of (WOW!)

awesome, chuck
I don't see the top end of that stack; It could go on for miles! :gulp:

It stops just to the right of the pictue, most of it is only single layered though, so its deceiving.

Mo, you don't have to spend dollars for the landscape timbers. Just cut some short poles; saplings out in the woods or even use limbs. Lay those down and stack on top. Dollars are better in your pocket.

Backwoods Savage said:
Mo, you don't have to spend dollars for the landscape timbers. Just cut some short poles; saplings out in the woods or even use limbs. Lay those down and stack on top. Dollars are better in your pocket.

I've been using metal posts that are about 4 bucks each at home depot for the sides and then using pallets on the bottom. any ideas in place of metal posts?

RORY12553 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I've been using metal posts that are about 4 bucks each at home depot for the sides and then using pallets on the bottom. any ideas in place of metal posts?

No t-posts; no pallets; no landscape timbers.

Wood-2009e.jpg

Wood-2009c.jpg

Wood-2010d.jpg

Nice clean stacks! I guess I need to get to the woods and find some straight stuff. Most of the wood I have so far is scrounged or from tree services so it is already cut. Money in the pocket is much better, since that is part of the reason for doing this anyway.

I swear that some of y'all get your "slide-rulers" out when you're bucking and stacking your wood. Also the wood you split must not have any branches and grow real straight also.

Heck, even my "straight" splits are crooked. I dunno???

RORY12553 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I didn't even know what T-posts were before I was a member here . . . most of my stacks are done the way I've always done them since I was little. Pallets on the bottom. End rows criss crossed in Lincoln Log fashion -- being sure to maintain a stable stack (see Dennis' photos for an idea of how I do the ends.)

Backwoods Savage said:
I've been thinking of trying this. There are plenty of dead Sassafras in the woods...I think it's supposed to resist rot pretty well. It had better; Everything I'll be stacking here won't be burned for four or more years.

dorkweed said:
I swear that some of y'all get your "slide-rulers" out when you're bucking and stacking your wood. Also the wood you split must not have any branches and grow real straight also.

Heck, even my "straight" splits are crooked. I dunno???

The key is when you are trimming the tree, trim the limbs tight to the trunk and not leave that big knot sticking out. It makes packing the stove easier too.

Status
Not open for further replies.