Another pick my next stove thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
With tax season upon us I am seriously considering putting some of my returns towards a new stove. I'd love to hear what you all think and recommend for my list of requirements which are as follows:

BTU range of 50-70k
8" Flue
Cast, Steel, or Stone
maybe a little incite as to a cat or not cat model

Thats it! I know its a long list of requirements but I really just wanted to hear peoples recommendations.

Thanks in advance

Blaze King comes to mind given the requirements. More details about the house, the existing flue, etc may broaden the choices.

House is 1yr old. I have the stove placed in the basement with a Selkirk SuperPro 8" exterior chimney...90 degree elbow through the wall, than straight up the side of the house with (i know i know) an offset for a total of about 24'. I know its not the best set up but the house wasnt designed with a wood stove in mind, unfortunately.

My stove is currently located about 10 feet away from the stairway which goes up to the kitchen/main living area. The first floor is one open space with a floor grate that I will be installing this weekend. The floor grate going in is located about 2 feet, offset of the stove below, and will be placed about 8 feet from the stairway leading to the second floor.

There are many choices given your listed criteria.

Why an 8" flue? Even if your current chimney is an 8" flue that is no big deal since you can get a reducer from 8" to 6" at the thimble. I installed a Jotul F3 for my parents using a reducer and the stove has no problems with draft whatsoever. You may need to shell out a few extra bucks for new 6" stovepipe but that cost is not that great, especially since I'd guess 90% of the stoves available today use a 6" flue outlet and it will give you a ton more choices.

If you go to a 6" flue you have a wide variety in steel, iron, or stone.

How much you are looking to spend is good to know since it will narrow things down considerably. The Hearthstone stoves have hit a point where they are getting ridiculous in cost and may be immediately ruled out based on price unless you want to spend $2500+.

At 70k btu in cast iron I would have to recommend the Jotul Oslo.
If you do want stone I'd probably say go with a Woodstock Fireview.
Not sure about steel, but somebody will certainly chime in shortly.

How big is the house? Regardless, with an 8" chimney and trying to heat from the basement in MA, I would be all over the big blaze king. It is more of a wood furnace and made to heat air which will flow up the stairs better than a radiant heater.

I just saw your post about this being a basement installation. Is the basement insulated? If not I'd go as big as you can since the masonry walls soak up heat like a sponge.

The house is 1600 sf with the basement currently unfinished.

Flame, im not to sure I want to go with a reduce.... besides the fact that I just spent money this year on the chimney, i've heard thats just one more problem that could go wrong. I could be wrong so if that the case please do let me know

TheFlame said:
I just saw your post about this being a basement installation. Is the basement insulated? If not I'd go as big as you can since the masonry walls soak up heat like a sponge.

The basement is insulated

TheFlame said:
There are many choices given your listed criteria.

Why an 8" flue? Even if your current chimney is an 8" flue that is no big deal since you can get a reducer from 8" to 6" at the thimble. I installed a Jotul F3 for my parents using a reducer and the stove has no problems with draft whatsoever. You may need to shell out a few extra bucks for new 6" stovepipe but that cost is not that great, especially since I'd guess 90% of the stoves available today use a 6" flue outlet and it will give you a ton more choices.

If you go to a 6" flue you have a wide variety in steel, iron, or stone.

How much you are looking to spend is good to know since it will narrow things down considerably. The Hearthstone stoves have hit a point where they are getting ridiculous in cost and may be immediately ruled out based on price unless you want to spend $2500+.

At 70k btu in cast iron I would have to recommend the Jotul Oslo.
If you do want stone I'd probably say go with a Woodstock Fireview.
Not sure about steel, but somebody will certainly chime in shortly.

Just re-read what you wrote, do you mean to say that I can replace the stove pipe only and leave the exterior chimney 8"?

mikepinto65 said:
Just re-read what you wrote, do you mean to say that I can replace the stove pipe only and leave the exterior chimney 8"?

My expertise in doing this is limited, I only know that the installation of the tiny F3CB into a 14' masonry flue (8") worked great for my parents. No draft issues on start up from cold or once heated.

You stated above that you have an 8" Selkirk chimney, which I believe would be a steel/insulated chimney? If so that is superior compared to regular masonry, since it will heat up faster and draft better. I have a friend who put an insert into his existing masonry 8" flue (6" flue exit on the insert) with no lining and has no problems whatsoever.

I hate to make the call for you, since some people seem to have all kinds of problems with draft and others have crazy strong draft, it doesn't seem to be an exact science. But yes, what I am saying is that you *can* get a reducer and use a stove with a 6" flue exit with your 8" chimney.

TheFlame said:
mikepinto65 said:

My expertise in doing this is limited, I only know that the installation of the tiny F3CB into a 14' masonry flue (8") worked great for my parents. No draft issues on start up from cold or once heated.

You stated above that you have an 8" Selkirk chimney, which I believe would be a steel/insulated chimney? If so that is superior compared to regular masonry, since it will heat up faster and draft better. I have a friend who put an insert into his existing masonry 8" flue (6" flue exit on the insert) with no lining and has no problems whatsoever.

I hate to make the call for you, since some people seem to have all kinds of problems with draft and others have crazy strong draft, it doesn't seem to be an exact science. But yes, what I am saying is that you *can* get a reducer and use a stove with a 6" flue exit with your 8" chimney.

After lots of reading I think I am going to try and avoid doing that with a 6" design. Does anyone think I'd be safe to do this with the Woodstock Keystone? It has a 7" flue size so im just wondering if it would make a big difference to dump it to my 8" chimney. Im just thinking that If i were to try this, than i'd feel most comfortable keeping the flue sizes as close as possible.
I'd still like to hear opinions to any other stoves with an 8" flue.

Woodstock states all their stoves will draft well with a 8" chimney and I'm sure they have some kind of adapter to make it fit. If your going with the basement install you may want to go with the bigger Fireview. Your house is 1600 sq ft total including basement? Give them a call and tell them your plans, they are very helpfull.

That good to hear, i'll try giving them a call later today. I wasn't considering the fireview because of the listed 6" flue but if they state it works well into an 8" than i'll definitely consider it.
My house is 1600sq ft not including the basement. The basement is roughly 500sq ft.

mikepinto65 said:
That good to hear, i'll try giving them a call later today. I wasn't considering the fireview because of the listed 6" flue but if they state it works well into an 8" than i'll definitely consider it.
My house is 1600sq ft not including the basement. The basement is roughly 500sq ft.

I don't know where my brain was last night, but I'm betting that every manufacturer has a section in their stoves' manuals that states the chimney requirements and what is permissable. I just checked the manual for my Oslo and it is in there clear as day what is allowed as far as flue size.

You can usually find the manuals for any stoves right online so this information should be readily available for any stove you are interested in that has a 6" flue collar.

Status
Not open for further replies.