Another plus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikhen

Oct 8, 2011
Oley, pa
Just discovered another bonus to having a pellet stove. I no longer have to shovel a path for the oil man.

They start to add up!

I still have to for the mail.

My oil company has not figured out that our oil consumption is way too low yet!
And they delivered 41 gallons last week...

Bill

bill3rail said:

Bill

I let my oil people know that I wanted to go with a "will call" instead of automatic fill up, for they have a 100gal minimum, or pay extra policy.

1D

1Dtml said:
bill3rail said:

Bill

I let my oil people know that I wanted to go with a "will call" instead of automatic fill up, for they have a 100gal minimum, or pay extra policy.

1D

Mine have the same policy. Have to dish out at least $300 to get them to talk to you about delivering!

My oil company will treat me right in that they will deliver to me if given a 24 hour notice, but I made sure to let them know not to show for auto delivery even though I don't know what the "extra" fee is if under 100 gallons.

If it's $300 I'm very happy I made the call, for no where to put $300.00 in oil. ;-)

FWIW, pellet stove installed a few days after Xmas, and tankless coil oil DHW replaced by indirect cold fired 50gal DHW tank the following week...the fuel gauge on my oil tank has yet to move since then...priceless. :)

1D

I will add another plus, my wife LOVES to dry her hair in front of the stove, no hair dryer running and using a ton of electricity!

Pelletfisky said:
1Dtml said:
bill3rail said:

Bill

1D

Mine have the same policy. Have to dish out at least $300 to get them to talk to you about delivering!

I have a locked in price of...Gasp...$349.9/Gal.
I will call them tomorrow to get on will call instead of auto drops. I can also figure out exactly how much oil I need to call for. There is no annual contract cost, which saves about $125. to 175. per year in this area.

Bill

robert65 said:
I will add another plus, my wife LOVES to dry her hair in front of the stove, no hair dryer running and using a ton of electricity!

Just gotta watch out for stray hairs landing on stove and getting vaporized. DAMHIKT.

About 3x a year I fire up the Oil Furnace just to keep it working.

About once a year I stop at the local Diesel Fuel retailer and buy 10 Gallons of Fuel.

I dump this in the Fill Spout outside the house.

In 4 years I have used about 3 gallons of oil.

Eventually I will have to fill up the tank just to flush out the crud in the bottom of the tank.

But, until then (win lottery, rich uncle passes on, etc.) I'll stick with what I have.

I would guess the tank has about 50 gallons in it.

---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.