Another Poop ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Okay, poop experts, name that dung...

uploadfromtaptalk1463153981802.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With nothing to compare against for size that looks like mouse poo.

i think it is a long distance shot of Washington, DC

About the size of commn white rice.

If it tastes a little like black licorice its mouse poop...

Yes, joking.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrotherBart
if it's the size of rice than it not your average mouse it has to be bigger. where did you find it? looks like the size of bat or rat.

I have seen a lot of threads in my 11 years here, but this one takes the cake. ;lol

Edit: Should have said that in my 11 years here I have seen a lot of crap but...

Last edited:
Kind of hard to tell the size. Maybe if you put a coin next to them we can get an idea of true size. But it looks too big for common house mouse.

if it's the size of rice than it not your average mouse it has to be bigger. where did you find it? looks like the size of bat or rat.
It's coming from between the roof trim and the siding. I was up on the ladder and could here it scratching as it moved. The area of the roof is 4' up from the attic floor.

uploadfromtaptalk1463253035841.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Squirrel maybe?

bat guano

or maybe your mascara is losing da sticky

Reactions: vinny11950
Its bat guano. The broken bits is the givevaway. Its insect exoskeleton.
I like bats. We watch them fly about eating mosquitoes at dusk. Should I let them stay! Or build bat houses nearby?

There are plenty of reasons to get them out of your attic. Bats are rabies vectors and 1 or 2 of the bats we have tested each year test positive. Their droppings also contain histoplasmosis. It's a fungus that, if it gets into your lungs, can prove fatal. Bat boxes generally aren't that effective in my experience. You're better off excluding them and letting them find their way into your neighbor's house.

Reactions: vinny11950
There are plenty of reasons to get them out of your attic. Bats are rabies vectors and 1 or 2 of the bats we have tested each year test positive. Their droppings also contain histoplasmosis. It's a fungus that, if it gets into your lungs, can prove fatal. Bat boxes generally aren't that effective in my experience. You're better off excluding them and letting them find their way into your neighbor's house.
So how do I evict them, short of killing them

They will leave on their own to find food. The trick is to not let them in again. Bats have primary entrances, and secondary entrances. Secondary entrances can be any opening that'll allow them back in once the primary is no longer a place they can enter. The hole where you found the droppings is a primary entrance. Hang a bat 1 way over it. Bat one ways function like a slide. Its easy to slide down, but running up it is impossible. Note, the door, like the slide must be pointed down.

Here is a fairly versatile bat door:
http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BCEX

Work your way around the roof sealing any holes your pinkey might fit in. Bats will fit through some amazingly small holes. Silicone and sheet metal work well. You can use just about anything as a backer, bats won't chew their way back in like a squirrel.

Its important to get all the holes. If you got locked out of your house, you would go try every door and window, even if you knew it was locked. They will too.

Reactions: lml999
Status
Not open for further replies.