Another Progress Hybrid Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony,
The hearth came out real nice and the stove looks great! Having extra hearth is a good thing..

Ray

Looks real nice Tony, looking forward to your review. I think they should of made that ash lip a little larger so it would be more like the old fashioned foot warmers on the old pot belly stoves.

It's beautiful Tony!

Good Catch, I got the first ashlip, its a prototype. Turns out I was directly responsible for it’s design due to earlier conversation of mine with WS to reduce hearth clearance reqirements. It even has my initials stamped in it! I call it “the Tony lipâ€.

Hey Tony, did you have to cut or drill through your bottom sheild to bolt on the ash lip? I have threaded holes in the bottom of the stove that I'm sure are for the ash lip, but the bottom shield kit covers them.

A ha! That's why WS told me to bolt on the retainer plate first, then the ash lip, then the other two heat shields. The Lip gets sandwiched between the first heat shield (that's the retainer plate) and the other two heat shields. No holes had to be drilled.

The last two shields did not want to lay evenly into the 4 mounting studs (rear corners wanted to press into the retainer plate). All I had to do was flatten out the bend at the front of the second shield and it fits like a glove.

The shields and lip do an amazing job of keeping the hearth cool. It's cooler that the FV ever was so far.

The shields and lip do an amazing job of keeping the hearth cool. It’s cooler that the FV ever was so far.

I know! I'm not supposed to be burning without the ash lip because I don't have R=0.8. But, my hearth is barely luke warm without the lip. The testing/requirements must have changed recently because it does seem ultra conservative. I did place a sheet metal tray just under/in front of the stove but I'm positive I didn't need to. Maybe with the secondaries really cranking it could be an issue. I won't be burning like that unless we actually get some winter weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.