1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another Progress Hybrid Install

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Waulie, Dec 20, 2011.

1. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Tony,
    The hearth came out real nice and the stove looks great! Having extra hearth is a good thing..

Ray

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Looks real nice Tony, looking forward to your review. I think they should of made that ash lip a little larger so it would be more like the old fashioned foot warmers on the old pot belly stoves.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    It's beautiful Tony!
  4. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    Hey Tony, did you have to cut or drill through your bottom sheild to bolt on the ash lip? I have threaded holes in the bottom of the stove that I'm sure are for the ash lip, but the bottom shield kit covers them.
  5. fire_man

fire_man Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    A ha! That's why WS told me to bolt on the retainer plate first, then the ash lip, then the other two heat shields. The Lip gets sandwiched between the first heat shield (that's the retainer plate) and the other two heat shields. No holes had to be drilled.

The last two shields did not want to lay evenly into the 4 mounting studs (rear corners wanted to press into the retainer plate). All I had to do was flatten out the bend at the front of the second shield and it fits like a glove.

The shields and lip do an amazing job of keeping the hearth cool. It's cooler that the FV ever was so far.
  6. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan

I know! I'm not supposed to be burning without the ash lip because I don't have R=0.8. But, my hearth is barely luke warm without the lip. The testing/requirements must have changed recently because it does seem ultra conservative. I did place a sheet metal tray just under/in front of the stove but I'm positive I didn't need to. Maybe with the secondaries really cranking it could be an issue. I won't be burning like that unless we actually get some winter weather.
  7. 4wheelcycle

4wheelcycle New Member

Loc:
    NH
    Another vote for no ash pan. I think your stove looks great.