Another question about Durock..... for Intrepid II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

myjdeere

Oct 30, 2022
NY
Hello! i have searched for days and cant find a direct answer. it just keeps coming back to Durock vs Hardie backer.
I like to keep things simple so here it goes! Im going to be putting a V.C. Intrepid 2 in a corner of my cabin. Can i place this wood stove on top of 1/2" Du Rock that is directly on the 3/4" sub-floor? I do plan on pavers or tile on top of the Du Rock.

Walls Surround? There currently is just framing and insulation. Can i install Du Rock on the walls directly to the studs and then do the finished surround spaced 1" off the Du Rock with the 1" air gap all the way around?

Thank you for any help!

The best place to start is the stove manual. There are several models of the Intrepid 2. Which is this? Does it have the bottom heat shield? Are you trying for a clearance reduction or will the stove be installed with the required clearances?

Last edited:
The best place to start is the stove manual. There are several models of the Intrepid 2. Which is this? Does it have the bottom heat shield? Are you trying for a clearance reduction or will the stove be installed with the required clearances?
I cant recall which exact model it is, catalytic 2038? It does have the rear heat shield. I have the manual and my clearances are more then required i'm just trying to be extra cautious. the wording in the manual isnt clear about floor protection.

When i put in the Vermont castings defiant 35 years ago, i used 1/4" "mineral" board ( i think we called it), (similar to hardie backer board).

It was 1/4" 3'x5' or 4'x8?' i dont remember the size exactly., put onto the plywood subfloor.
Then a full sheet of sheet metal the same size as the board.
Then a second 1/4" mineral board on top of the metal and bottom 1/4" board.
The boards and metal "sandwich" were screwed to the sub floor only around the edges.
Then tile.

That is what the code inspector wanted at the time.

I have not heard of many others doing this same technique.

No inspection here, my house and I really don't wasn't to burn it down. I used Duroc but built a frame from metal lumber so it's spaced off of the wall about 3". On the floor I built a raised hearth since we don't put the TV on the floor we didn't want the stove on the floor. Built the hearth out of 2x6 with plywood on top and Duroc on that. Everything got covered with rock and mortar. Been decades and hasn't burned down. Hearth base doesn't even get warm.

I cant recall which exact model it is, catalytic 2038? It does have the rear heat shield. I have the manual and my clearances are more then required i'm just trying to be extra cautious. the wording in the manual isnt clear about floor protection.
Is this a new or used stove? The stove model should be in the manual and on the UL label on the back of the stove. Does the stove have the bottom heat shield?

Hearth base doesn't even get warm.
Yeah i think heavy floor protection is over rated. No way did i need to do that "sandwich" for VC. That floor never got that hot. The floor under my jotul f400 barely gets over 100 - 110F maybe., the floor in front of the stove maybe 120-125F Max. It's the walls that get the bulk of the heat.

That said ember protection has helped me numerous times. Chunks of red hot coals can and do fall out onto the floor. It's rare but does happen.

Last edited:
Is this a new or used stove? The stove model should be in the manual and on the UL label on the back of the stove. Does the stove have the bottom heat shield?
I removed the stove from my brothers house in good working condition last year. The model is a Intrepid 2 2070.

Floor protection for the model 2070 will depend on whether the bottom heat shield part #0307, is installed. For most US installations I think the bottom heat shield was standard but it's important to check.

If the bottom heat shield is there then the plan to use Durock cement board with tile or pavers on top for the hearth is good. In this case only ember protection is required.
Walls Surround? There currently is just framing and insulation. Can i install Du Rock on the walls directly to the studs and then do the finished surround spaced 1" off the Du Rock with the 1" air gap all the way around?
That is overkill with little to be gained if the required clearances are already met but there is no harm. FWIW, the heat shield on 1" spacers is what is doing the work. There could be a solid wood wall behind it.