Another question from the "who, me?" department

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Louise

Nov 17, 2008
Southeast/south-mid MI
"Who, me?" as in "who, me do my own maintenance/repair work on this thing?" ;)

I'd like to follow the suggestions that I vacuum/clean out the back chambers of my VC Encore Everburn, because I know they're full of ash and creosote particles. My new question is: do I have to take off the top of the stove to do it? Or can I reach it just by taking the stove pipe off the top and going in that way? And if I take the stove pipe out/off (okay, this is going to sound really dumb, please laugh first and then reply), do I have to prop up the remaining pipe sections so the whole thing doesn't fall down? I know, I know, but the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, right?

Also, do I need to buy a gasket kit made specifically for the VC Encore, or can I just go buy the gasket braid stuff and cement at some place like Lowe's?

If I manage not to burn my house down, my insurer will have you all to thank. ;)

Do you have the Encore 2550?
If so, take a look at the schematic in the back of your manual...
There are two wedges - item #21 on either side of your fireback...
Tap them upwards & they'll come out of their slots, freeing up the fireback...
You should be able to remove the fireback - item#28, & get access to the chamber behind it...
It's been a while since I rebuilt one of these, & you may hafta remove the throat hood
- item#27 - as well...
Vacuum the crap out & reverse the steps to re-assemble...

If your Everburn is a ceramic fibre box like in my Resolute, be careful with the vacuum.
When I got my used stove home I put the vac. to it and proceeded to suck a hole in the top of the burn box.
Those are @ $225 to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.