1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Another question from the "who, me?" department

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Louise, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louise

Louise New Member

Loc:
    Southeast/south-mid MI
    "Who, me?" as in "who, me do my own maintenance/repair work on this thing?" ;)

I'd like to follow the suggestions that I vacuum/clean out the back chambers of my VC Encore Everburn, because I know they're full of ash and creosote particles. My new question is: do I have to take off the top of the stove to do it? Or can I reach it just by taking the stove pipe off the top and going in that way? And if I take the stove pipe out/off (okay, this is going to sound really dumb, please laugh first and then reply), do I have to prop up the remaining pipe sections so the whole thing doesn't fall down? I know, I know, but the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, right?

Also, do I need to buy a gasket kit made specifically for the VC Encore, or can I just go buy the gasket braid stuff and cement at some place like Lowe's?

If I manage not to burn my house down, my insurer will have you all to thank. ;)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Do you have the Encore 2550?
    If so, take a look at the schematic in the back of your manual...
    There are two wedges - item #21 on either side of your fireback...
    Tap them upwards & they'll come out of their slots, freeing up the fireback...
    You should be able to remove the fireback - item#28, & get access to the chamber behind it...
    It's been a while since I rebuilt one of these, & you may hafta remove the throat hood
    - item#27 - as well...
    Vacuum the crap out & reverse the steps to re-assemble...
  3. Brian VT

Brian VT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern VT
    If your Everburn is a ceramic fibre box like in my Resolute, be careful with the vacuum.
    When I got my used stove home I put the vac. to it and proceeded to suck a hole in the top of the burn box.
    Those are @ $225 to replace.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.